Another Newbie

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

lbstory

New
Reaction score
I've had a seizure disorder most of my life, but just recently had two tonic clonic seizures one Sunday afternoon in February. After a clear EEG & MRI, my family doc thinks it was due to a faulty TSH level. I have had hypothyroidism since my son was born in 1986. I have soooo much more wrong with me here at 55 years. My big thing is I WANT MY LICENSE BACK. If I don't get them back, I have to go on short term disability. I'm one of those people who really likes to work. :ponder:

Hi lbstory,

Welcome to CWE! Everyone here has been a great help to me and I've had epilepsy for 46 yrs. It could be your THS level that triggered the seizure but I know another thing that also may have caused it is when a person goes through their change and that's because the estrogen level gets higher which causes more excitement while at the same time the progesterone level goes down and progesterone helps calm the nerves.
My Epileptologist told me that sometimes this can happen especially if a person has temporal lobe epilepsy. One thing that really has helped me a lot is the cannabis oil (medical marijuana) I was amazed at how it reduced the seizures. Here's wishing you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi lbstory, welcome to CWE!

Make yourself at home. :)

Hi lbstory.

Losing your license is a big deal. I lost mine 3 years ago and haven't gotten it back since. I use uber and lyft to get around now. It is a hassle but it works. Fortunately right now I work from home, but that won't last too much longer. A disaster is looming.

My big thing is I WANT MY LICENSE BACK. If I don't get them back, I have to go on short term disability. I'm one of those people who really likes to work. :ponder:

Is there someone you work with that could drive you to and from work? Sometimes just offering them gas money will do the trick. There's a woman my husband works with who doesn't have a car so he'd give her rides. He did it for over 4 months but she never offered him any money for gas so he stopped.

Hello. I chose not to drive when I was only having simple partial seizures, & now that I have complex partials, I am glad that I don't.

Hello. I chose not to drive when I was only having simple partial seizures, & now that I have complex partials, I am glad that I don't.
Sabbo, to me you are one of the many lucky ones. You see, I have had 4 different types of seizures since I was 9 and I am getting very close to having seizures for 20 years now. I have both Simple Partial and Complex Partial seizures. I once had a Complex Partial seizure when my sister was driving me home from school and I grabbed the emergency brack I did not pull up on it I just gripped it but I sure haven't forgotten how shaken my sister was when I came out of the seizure.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I've had simple partials since childhood. Now, I have both simple and complex partials (those started about 18 years ago). My complex partials occur without any aura. I'm totally unaware that I've had one unless there is another person there or I do something to myself/my surroundings.

Like Sabbo I almost never know that I'm going to have a seizure or that I've had one unless there is someone there to see it happen.

A few years ago my dad had me to move our lawn tractor a little bit when it was out in the yard. I had a seizure, with no warning, while I was on it and slammed down on the gas pedal. My dad ran as fast as he probably ever did in his life and managed to stop the tractor a few feet away from a huge tree before I hit it. When I came out of the seizure my dad was panting like crazy pulling me off of the tractor and I had no idea why he was doing it. I can't even imagine what that would have been like if I'd been driving a car on a road.

Depending on what state you live in you have to go a certain amount of time seizure free before you're able to get your license again. Having to go on short term disability might feel like crap right now but in the long run it might be the best because you never know what could happen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom