answers needed

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
i am 22 and i have been having these symptoms for a long time but i was just recently had an EEG that showed abnormal with high risk for seizure in the temporal lobe. also i had been diagnosed with depersonalization disorder by a psychologist. i am wondering if these symptoms are normal for a temporal lobe seizure and questions regarding seizures in general.

Recently this problem happens like 10 or more times a day. sometimes i have a chronic feeling of being disoriented or confused like i never seen that place before or i dont know where i am. when it is really bad and im 100 percent confused i would fall to the ground panicking and screaming because i cant recognize where i am or who i am. i feel i have an extremely diminished sence of awareness. i do not fall unconcous but when i fall to the ground screaming i am 100 percent "not there" like no clue where i am and very confused.

how often can a person have a seizure? like 10 times a day or more seems excessive

is this normal for a temporal lobe seizure?

can someone help. this has gotten so bad i was in the emergency room.

I totally empathize with you; I too get the feeling lilke I don't know where I am and sometimes for hours or days afterward things seem not right (like I'm in a different place or time) I don't lose consciousness either, but rather panic, as this is the worst feeling in the world. Do you have a neurologist? He/she can more accurately help you.

Hi sbg1, welcome to the forum. :hello:

how often can a person have a seizure? like 10 times a day or more seems excessive

10 times a day is definitely too many. FYI:
Traditionally, status epilepticus was defined as 30 minutes of continuous seizure activity or a series of seizures without return to full consciousness between the seizures. Many believe that a shorter period of seizure activity causes neuronal injury and that seizure self-termination is unlikely after 5 minutes; some suggest times as brief as 5 minutes to define status epilepticus.

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic554.htm

can someone help. this has gotten so bad i was in the emergency room.

You are your own best advocate. Here's some suggestions:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/epilepsy-101-part-faq-part-tips-advice-1255/

Hi sour! I have to agree with Bernard. 10 is far too many seizures. Check out the links he provided. Feel free to vent, ask questions, or just chime in...and don't forget, you're not alone.

Yes , depersonalisation is a well recognised symptom of temporal lobe epiilepsy but there are a lot of other causes too. It can also be due to anxiety disorders,severe depression , hyperventilation, side effects of drugs you've taken , infections.... the list is quite exhaustive. 10 episodes a day is far too frequent to be acceptable is these are seizures. It could be status epilepticus. You need an EEG ASAP. you also need some bloodwork and maybe a psych. consult to rule out depression and anxiety disorder. Get to a :doctor: as soon as possible. Take care

Additional info and details

:hello: Bubblegum!

Welcome to CWE - and here's some additional information
for you in regards to Temporal Lobe Epilepsy and
depersonalization:

Temporal Lobe Epilepsy - by eMed

*Psychic phenomena

* Patients may have a feeling of déjà vu or jamais vu, a sense of familiarity or unfamiliarity, respectively.

* Patients may experience depersonalization (ie, feeling of detachment from oneself) or derealization (ie, surroundings appear unreal).

* Fear or anxiety usually is associated with seizures arising from the amygdala. Sometimes, the fear is strong, described as an "impending sense of doom."

* Patients may describe a sense of dissociation or autoscopy, in which they report seeing their own body from outside.

* Autonomic phenomena are characterized by changes in heart rate, piloerection, and sweating. Patients may experience an epigastric "rising" sensation or nausea.

Hope this helps and clicking on the link above
will give you more info and details.

There are

a several members in the forum who have TLE I do believe if my memory serves me right from all the posts I've read, and a few who not only have TLE but go thru the depersonalization to the point that they have Disassociative Identity Disorder. I can't remember who they are, hopefully they will PM you with their own experiences.

Just know that this DOES exist, in a co-morbid way, so you are NOT losing your mind, OK? Chin up, Bubblegum. We'll be here for you.

Take care,

Meetz
:rock:

Back
Top Bottom