Any Advice?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Lonely

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I haven't been diagnosed with epilepsy although my family thinks it is likely that I have it. Here's my situation ....

I've had 2 major seizures (I don't know any of the proper terminology but this were undoubtedly seizures, I may have had more but these two both involved me losing consciousness and waking up in the hospital) ... The first seizure was 2 years ago, I split my head open in a shopping centre (I had just come out of a bathroom with funky designs all over the walls, they were trippy and made me feel sick), I don't remember anything until waking up in the hospital and having a splitting headache and feeling extremely sick / nauseous ... On both occasions I was in a bad mood (almost like I was picking fights for no reason) prior to it happening. Ever since then, I've begun to notice I have so much difficulty articulating my thoughts ... it really frightens me; I used to be well-spoken and confident, now I mutter and slur my speech very often. I wake up some mornings feeling so angry at the world and with pounding headaches, I'm not sure if this means I've had a seizure during the night - is this possible? The neurologist I saw thinks I fainted because I am so thin, but my family who witnessed the events said it was without a doubt a seizure. On both occasions I remember feeling as though I was being pulled to the left, I couldn't control myself, I had to turn my neck / body to the left side. The first time I remember feeling my left arm moving uncontrollably and I just couldn't stop it. My uncle on my dad's side has epilepsy. If anyone has any thoughts to share about my situation, I would very much appreciate it. ANY feedback would be wonderful.

One other note.......I haven't been myself for the past 2 years, and it could be due to other emotional events (bad breakup) but I feel as though I've lost myself. I have no confidence, I am constantly picking fights with my family, I hate it and I don't know how to change. I am 21 years old and have isolated myself from so many old friends.

Another note, I begun taking a riboflavin multivitamin daily in August, and it seems to actually help me. When I forget to take it for a couple of days, I feel like I'm going to have a seizure (it hasn't yet happened). Now that I'm aware of the feelings I get prior to seizures, I lay down when I feel one coming on.

Last edited:
Hey lonely, welcome to CWE.

I hope you won't feel "lonely" here. This is a great community, and a terrific source of information and support.

The symptoms/events you describe definitely sounds like seizures, and you should press for EEG testing and a diagnosis. Testing may reveal whether you are also suffering from nocturnal seizures. In the meantime, it's good that you're taking B vitamins -- they are great for brain health, along with foods high in Omega 3s (flax and fish oils, nuts). Other vitamins can be helpful too, esp. calcium, magnesium and D. If you are thin, it's possible that your seizures are triggered at least in part by low blood sugar. Low blood sugar can make you cranky, and also make it hard to think clearly. You may want to get tested for it as well. (If you think low blood sugar is playing a role, make sure to eat 4 to 6 small meals over the course of the day. If you feel yourself getting disoriented, try drinking some orange juice to raise your sugar level for the short term.)

Best,
Nakamova

Hi, hello

and how do you do? It's very nice to "meet" you! I'm Meetz, and I'm one of the many people here that you can come to for information, friendship (if you want) and to hang out with if you so desire :).

The two "big" seizures that you describe are probably Tonic Clonic seizures--referred to around here as t/c's. And yes, it IS possible to have them during your sleep--I do. I have four types of seizures.

The comment you made about your head feeling like it HAS to pull to the left sounds a lot like partial seizures, whether it's simple or complex partial, you'd have to find out.

DO be sure to get into a neuro ASAP. Make sure that they do an EEG (AT LEAST 24 hours, preferably 48 hours or more) and an MRI. The EEG will capture any seizure activity that is going on in your brain at the time that it is being done....it is like a "snapshot in time" of that information. The MRI is simply a PHYSICAL map of your brain...so that if there are any lesions, scars or anything else that might be causing your brain to seize, then the doctors can find it.

Also, start keeping an E(pilepsy) journal. You'd be surprised the things that you and your doctor can figure out might be triggering the seizures. All by keeping a journal. I've got a pretty detailed list of things to use in it if you'd like...

Take care!

Meetz
:rock:

Hi lonely, I'm new here as well :) and also new to having epilepsy so I'm not good with the terminology either, so you're not alone!

After my first seizure and all the tests that followed, it seemed to my doctor that it may well have been just a one off. It wasn't until nearly six months later that I had another seizure, and was diagnosed with epilepsy... so I can understand how hard it can be when events like this happen, and you're not sure of what they mean. I'm still trying to familiarise myself with having epilepsy, so I'm probably not in much of a position to give advice, but I agree with Nakamova and Meetz: it seems like a good idea to get your symptoms investigated.

Take care

Back
Top Bottom