Any help?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

lisajane

New
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Lisa.
I have only just been told I had epilepsy after months of black outs, collapsing and hospital/doctors appointments.
I felt like I was being pushed from pillow to post by the doctors, I kept collapsing and hurting myself, I had to have a lot of time off work...my boss did not like this, and did not support me...I now have no job as I was too worried to go back!
Has anyone else had anything like this? Any advice with daily coping ideas? Right now this is all so new and so scary :( any help or advice at all really would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Welcome Lisa!

CWE is a great place to get answers and to interact with people in similar situations.
Did you lose your job because of your medical condition?

Tom

Hi lisajane, welcome to CWE!

A good place to start is here: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/ You'll find information and tips at the link that are great for coping. Being proactive about getting information and support can help too, which is why it's great that you've found CWE.

Are you on medication now? Is it helping to control your seizures? When you feel comfortable, you should be able to look for work again -- there's no need to disclose that you have epilepsy, unless it would directly limit the kind of work you could do.

Best,
Nakamova

Welcome Lisa!!

My seiz aren't under control, so I can't drive. which means I don't have reliable transportation. so No one is hiring me. Even though it is discrimination because I have epilepsy, they get away with it, and say it's because of reliable transportation. Oh yeah, my husband sold my car and I can't drive a stick shift.
I am lucky enough to have a son who drives a stick better than me.

Thank you so much for the replies :) I'm so glad I found this forum :)
I'm not on any medication yet as the hospital have decided to do a few more tests after my black outs got worse! Hoping to hear back next week though so fingers crossed!
Yes I totally understand what you mean about work, it really does feel like discrimination!
I'm just finding it hard to deal with this big change it's like one day I was ok and now I have to take epilepsy into consideration all the time.
Little things like not taking a shower unless somebody's home with me... Makes me feel like I've lost my independence. I know it's all new right now and I'll get used to it, but it really does help having people to talk to :)

Once you get a better sense of what's going on, you may be able to regain some independence. I live alone, and don't worry about showering on my own (though I suppose sometimes it would be nice to have company...:))

Back
Top Bottom