anyone taking "lamotrigine" aka lamictal?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Yippppeee!!! Im happy for you. The fact that you have a dr you trust and can depend on says it all. You're on your way to helpful treatment. Congrats! and hug : )
I know it will take time. I've had 2 EEG's in one year. I dont blame the neuro dr anymore. I think he doesnt understand me (when I describe whats going on) and perhaps , maybe, I hope, he just wanna be right. I still wanna "Go off on him" sometimes, and putting me on this med knowing my phobia and fears would be a good reason to do so.

Wishing you nothing but the best!!!!

Yayyy thank you :) OMG YES... I DO LIKE THIS DR. HE IS VERY WISE.. HIS BEDSIDE MANNER COULD USE SOME WORK... but he generally he is great.
I have had many EEG's and MRI's plus my recent video MRI.. but it took forever to get each one. I have had epilepsy for over 20 some years and have had 2 Dr's that really cared to dig deep for answers you know?
Yes, I know what you mean about the Dr's putting you on meds knowing your phobia... its rediculous isn't it?

My advice to you is to is no matter what you decide - make sure you are changing only one drug at a time. Adding, subtracting, or changing dosage - one at a time. Then you have a better chance of knowing what's causing what.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, that is good advice.

lamotragine

Been on dilantin since 97 unsuccessfully. Recently trying lamotragine as well with no luck.
Very frustrated and considering asking Va about he possibility of trying medical mar
Marijuana .? Any suggestions?

Well, I went to my Neuro yesterday and well... he decided to keep me on the Lamictal... gees... he just took away the increase BUT increased my Phenobarbital... I've been on Phenobarbital for years and of course the blah feeling is still there.. but for some reason tonight... the night I take my increase, I have no footing.. when I walk I am dizzy and fall into things nearly falling over.... and he only increased it 10 mg. I dont know what is going on, heck I dont even know if its the meds or not.. but what I do know is... I CANT WALK. This is scarey for me. I guess its time for more bruises lol

Scott.. I know I would be cautious. Have you smoked pot before and everything was fine? The thing is a friend of mine who has passed on, smoked pot a couple times (shocking to us all lol) but one of her "pot smoking sessions" (I dont smoke it so I dont know how you say that action lol) ANYWAY.... well, one time she was "smoking" and that evening she had back to back T/C .... Dr. Said it could be related... so... I would be cautious myself. Maybe yeah... talk to your Dr. That would be best...
Good luck :)

I had 2 (known) tonic clonics before my diagnosis in 2009. They happened 4 months apart. The first one I was smoking daily, the second one I had quit smoking 2 weeks prior. So for me, it doesn't make a difference. I am a recreational smoker, and I take 150mg lamictal everyday.

I wouldn't feel comfortible giving up the lamictal and relying strictly on mj for seizure control.

lamotragine

Wow! I really don't know what to think anymore. Nothing has worked! But I've survived.

Scott.. I know I would be cautious. Have you smoked pot before and everything was fine? The thing is a friend of mine who has passed on, smoked pot a couple times (shocking to us all lol) but one of her "pot smoking sessions" (I dont smoke it so I dont know how you say that action lol) ANYWAY.... well, one time she was "smoking" and that evening she had back to back T/C .... Dr. Said it could be related... so... I would be cautious myself. Maybe yeah... talk to your Dr. That would be best...
Good luck :)

Just been seeing a lot of n
ew research about med. marijuana helpin epilepsy. Don't have to smoke it to get its medicinal qualities. :)

Been on dilantin since 97 unsuccessfully. Recently trying lamotragine as well with no luck.
Very frustrated and considering asking Va about he possibility of trying medical mar
Marijuana .? Any suggestions?

Finally! Something Im not afraid of and I already know the side effects.
Heck yea, I'll try that!

What ever you do... I know you will surly weigh the risks... NO ONE likes a seizure... lol I briefly, by passing articles came across marijuana for E. but never stopped to read any of it. So you would know more than me

It really depends on ur type of E. I do both pills and mm licensed in my state it helps me but I cant go without meds either so its a catch 22

After my surgery, the conclusion was Marijuana is what was causing my seizures. It's hard because plenty of other people with epilepsy it helps..so yeah.

Shannon, I take the generic lamotrigine 300 mg (insurance won't pay for XR), and I have noticed increased anxiety. My dose was just increased--after having another tonic-clonic. The MD will call Mon., but work still wants documents. It has been difficult to work while on this med b/c of the adjustment periods b/twn dose increases, headaches, nausea, and coordination problems.

Lamictal has been good to me. It helps stabilize my mood, and seems to make the Keppra more tolerable,

That's what I was trying to tell him. A person can't really tell right off bat ... only the person with E that does it will know that answer.... but does any of us want to chance that?
How are your seizures now? I'm assuming you stopped smoking right?

Omg I'm sorry, the anxiety is a beast! I feel bad for you. I wish mine would go away, but for as lo g as I have been on the meds and it hasn't left... looks like I'm going to have it until I get off of it.... one of the miserable side effects that stick with you. I know the Neuro would have increased my Lamictal last week had I not have told him how bad it was. THERE IS NO WAY I CAN HANDLE MORE THAN 300 MG a day... that is my required dose... i refuse to take 300 mg.. no way! The anxiety was so terrible I would stay up all night waiting for someone to break into the house! LOL I told my neuro that i can't handle it lol. He still wants me on the 300 but I'm not taking it and I told him I'm not going to. I can sleep at nights now... lol.. I have tried to start the 300 again but the anxiety comes right back. I need another drug.. but for some reason he is keeping me on it. I will talk to him about why next visit. Did your Dr. Start you at 300 or slowly increase? I was wondering if you had anxiety at a lower dose.

That's good you dont get the hideous anxiety! You're right about the mood stabilizer part too... that's the one reason why I wish I could tolerate it better... lord knows what type of wreck I'd be without it. Lol (kidding) but I also recognize that I am ALOT more "sensitive" on Lamictal...

I've been taking Lamital from 1999.
It's the only stable drug I have taken. I've had no
side affects so far. I have tried so many types of drugs
I can't remember. None of them worked. lamitcal doesn't
work totally so I'm trying two at the same time. Even with
both I still get seizures but reduced amount This year I Tried
two new test drugs and went through hell. I'm going to live
with Limictal, Kepra and my seizures, I guess. I'm tired of being
a Ginnie pig.

Back
Top Bottom