Anyone for Vimpat??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
This is a general message to anyone being put on Vimpat, My wife who has had epilepsy for many long years was gradually put on Vimpat in Feb 2010 starting at 50mg and is now on 2 x 150mg per day and it has reduced her seizures by 60 percent she is also on 1200mg of Tegretol daily and has had 1800mg of Gabapentin taken away slowly but she is now totally suicidal, agitated, cannot sleep and this is on most days. Now awaiting Doc to contact....

Best of luck Dave

This is a general message to anyone being put on Vimpat, My wife who has had epilepsy for many long years was gradually put on Vimpat in Feb 2010 starting at 50mg and is now on 2 x 150mg per day and it has reduced her seizures by 60 percent she is also on 1200mg of Tegretol daily and has had 1800mg of Gabapentin taken away slowly but she is now totally suicidal, agitated, cannot sleep and this is on most days. Now awaiting Doc to contact....

Best of luck Dave

Dave,
I had heard great things about Vimpat so I wanted to try it. Well I did and I just can't do it. It made me feel "stoned" with just 50mg 2x daily, depressed and couldn't keep my eyes open. But, when I did go to bed couldn't sleep. Not a med. for me as much as I wanted it to be.
So sorry your wife didn't have any luck with it either. Hopefully the next one to come along she and I will be able to handle.

You have hit the nail right on the head Elisa. It's exactly what I've told people about Vimpat. Simply STONED!! I take 2x50mg. After 3 or so hours after taking morning dosage, it's full effect kicks in and it aint pleasant. Dreary as hell right up till 7 hours later where I just full asleep for an hour. 8-9 hours after dosage is taken I feel much better.
I'm sure it's effect is actually causing seizures. If i'm idle and get up to move around I get an aura, sometimes every four or so minutes until bang - a seizure occurs. It's turned me into an agrophobe as I just can't handle what will happen when I'm out in public.

Back
Top Bottom