Aura or aniety please help me

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pattimay

New
Reaction score
I have a nero appointment. I awaken all night long over and over to jumping up, my whole body clenching and stiffening. It lasts a few seconds and I go back to sleep to have it happen again and again. My last neuro gave me a sleep study and I had 96 arousals in under two hours. He said it is NOT sleep apnea but doesn't know what I have. He threw me cymbalta and klonopin. I have not taken it . I did not tell him about my daytime "episodes" since he didn't seem interested. My husband gave me a xanax before sleep which did nothing. When I was little my mom told me that I would wake up from sleep with a gasp. I've had these jump ups for years and years but now it has gotten to the point of no sleep.
My daytime episoded are I get a feeling in my stomach. It maybe clenches. My heart will beat faster and I feel myself disasociating . I cannot walk a straight line well and become clumsy. I can talk but it's like I have to force myself to look normal. I just really get very quite and stare like I'm spaced out. Which is how I feel. I get very clumsy and drop things. It feels like I do not want to talk and just feel like going into a room and be alone until it passes. I don't even tell my family that it is happening. I feel embarrassed because I think it's "just anxiety". But I've had panic attacks already and one thing that I definetly DON'T feel like sitting still through an panic attack like I do when this happens. My mom who is in her 70's always notices when I get this and I can see her looking at me funny and asking if I'm okay.
Could this have anything to do with my night symptoms or is it all anxiety related? Thank you so much.

Pattimay - Welcome
You ask some questions that we are not able to answer for you. We can not offer a diagnosis. This is best left up to experts.

However, I too have had difficulty finding doctors that have any idea what is wrong with my daughter. I have had to figure it out, and it certainly isn't easy.

All I can tell you is what you are living with must be awful. I just can't imagine creating a future with these kinds of symptoms. I hope you live somewhere that has some great medical care. I would talk to people that also have training in healing internally. There are many children with these sorts of symptoms that are being helped with anti-fungal approaches, chelation, and nutritional changes. I am not going to lump you into the Autistic Spectrum Disorders, but OCD, ADHD, ANXIETY, etc all are helped with an assortment of alternative bio-med alternatives. Similar to what Ginny McCarthy did with her son, and www.StanKurtz.com did with his and many others.

Do some research, you might just find some relief.
Or a DAN doctor might have some ideas.

Robin, thank you but I am confused with your answer. Maybe I didn't post clearly enough but I am a 50 year old women experiencing this. Your reply has to do with children and autism. I'm pretty sure at least I do not suffer from that. I just would like to know if others have with epilepsy since I have the night time shakes or does it all sound like anxiety?

I have complex partial seizures and they're always preceded and followed by feelings of anxiety. For years I would wake up with that horrible feeling that I had forgotten something important. Now I know it's a part of my seizure. My first Neuro offered to give me an anti anxiety med but I passed - not a big fan of pharmaceuticals - I've learned to deal with it. I've kind of embraced it as it gives me a chance to lay low for the day in case of a seizure and my husband can now tell I may have one too. I like having a warning symptom. Somethings that help are controlling diet (reduce caffeine and other stimulants) and breathing exercises.

PattiMay...........I am in my early 50's and was diagnosed only last fall I have simple and complex partial seizures that are competely controlled with medication at this time. Mine originally manifested somewhat as panic attacks too so it could be. On the other hand, I have a friend with panic disorder and her symptoms were very similar to mine which turned out to be epilepsy so it's hard to say for sure. I'm glad you have a neurology appointment -- that's the key to an answer. Please keep us updated!

Robin, thank you but I am confused with your answer. Maybe I didn't post clearly enough but I am a 50 year old women experiencing this. Your reply has to do with children and autism. I'm pretty sure at least I do not suffer from that. I just would like to know if others have with epilepsy since I have the night time shakes or does it all sound like anxiety?

No Patti - I am talking more about neurological disorders. They are even classifying alzheimers these days as adult onset autism. There seems to be a direct connection between gut and brain. Healing internally, and supplementing where necessary, has relieved many from these awful symptoms. The belief is that the body is calling out for attention, and there certainly might be a direct relationship to internal health. I sent you to those sites, because the attention these days has been in the autistic community. Unfortunately, in the Epilepsy Community, the first line of defense is medication. However, this causes more disruption in overall health, and further damages organs over time. You can gain a lot of information if you forget the labels and look at what is healing these symptoms, both gut and brain, which are similar to yours.

I hope that clarifies my thoughts, If not let me know.

Any updates?

Hi Patti,

I understand where you're at. Your experience with disassociation, getting quiet and not being able to speak, stumbling around, dropping things, etc is also my nightmarish experience. I also get dizzy spells, nausea where i force myself to eat most days, and once in a great while, a panic attack. I used to sleep very crappy, but once i started anti-seizure meds, i slept fine. The problem was that i am off meds, still questioning my dx and dont have a good answer from neuros...they seem to swing back n forth between epilepsy and not otherwise specified seizure activity, to the last neuro doc who asked why i felt so bad during the day, because most of my symptoms were like someone who was IN LOVE. But then, he said he wanted to check me in for a week to do video EEG. Nothing more to mess with my head than that. Anyways, it is possible i believe to be in the pre-ictal state during the day (often) and your brain is most irritated right before sleep and during sleep, so that's when my simple/complexs were happening. I hope you found some answers and i strive to find the treatment that's appropriate for myself. Feel free to contact me! :woot:

Hi Pattimay, belated welcome to the forum. :hello:

... My last neuro gave me a sleep study and I had 96 arousals in under two hours. He said it is NOT sleep apnea but doesn't know what I have....

Did they try an EEG to confirm or rule out seizure activity?

... My daytime episoded are I get a feeling in my stomach. It maybe clenches. My heart will beat faster and I feel myself disasociating . I cannot walk a straight line well and become clumsy. I can talk but it's like I have to force myself to look normal. I just really get very quite and stare like I'm spaced out. ...

Sounds like that could possibly be either of the following:

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/seizure_simplepartial

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/epilepsy_temporallobe

Have you had a 24 hour VEEG?

Back
Top Bottom