back pain from photosensitive seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
hello everyone -

i had my first seizure at 19 and am now 25. I have Grand Mal seizures, and had my first photo sensitive seizure yesterday. i went from my apt which is usually dark, into the bright sun and collapsed, seized and was unconscious for about 20 mins. my back is in spasm now and i can barely move. does any one have any suggestions as to how to get rid of the back pain - it is effecting all of my other muscles/joints and i can barely move. i have tries, cold, heat, shower, stretching (what i can do). please help this is brutal.

Hi italia4ever26, welcome to CWE!

I moved your post to the Foyer so more folks could see it.

When I've had bad back pain from seizures, I've taken ibuprofen to help reduce the inflammation, and I've also gone to see a phyiscal therapist for ultrasound treatment, which really helped.

Ice is only good for the first 3-4 days, after that, use moist heat, hot showers, etc. If your back doesn't improve, definitely see a doctor -- they may be able to provide a cortisone shot, and/or prescribe a muscle relaxant to help with the spasm.

I find that ice helps more than heat. and stretching helps, too.
I don't have seizure-related back spasms, but I have lower-back issues and whenever I get a flare-up of back spasms, I ice it and lie on my back with my knees up to my chest.

I've had back pain for years, mostly on my lower right side. I don't think they are seizure related though. I think if you can name it I've tried it to get help for the pain. Pain meds do nothing for me so I'd end up laying with a heating pad on it not trying to move all.

About 6 months ago I started seeing a Chiropractor and it's helped alot. At first I started seeing him once a week, then once a month. I could tell when the month was coming up because I'd start getting some pain again.

I actually canceled my last appointment because there was no pain what so ever in my back. This is the first time in over 5 years that this has happened.

The only thing is that I have to watch how I move or sit because I will get a cramp or spasm, but it will usually only last about 5 minutes or so.

Back
Top Bottom