Bathrooms

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sweetroll

New
Reaction score
I suffer from brain damage on both sides of the brain, which in turn gives me uncontrolled seizures. Bathrooms seem to make me have a gran mal or a pati mal almost every time I go into. Does this happen to any of you? Eating kinda dose it too.
I get real puzzled about it like Tom Petty " Running Down A Dream" ." Working on a mystery going where ever it leads." I can't ever solve it. I hate the meds they give that doesn't help me one bit. If I'm late or miss a dosage I'm seizing. When r they going to get a cure? Otherwise God , family and this new Epilepsy forum I discovered are what helps the best.Thanks Everyone who's keeping it going.It is all new to me but helpful.

Do your seizures occur any time of night/day or only at a certain time? You say that eating does it to. Do you mean you're having seizure during a meal or before a meal? If it's before a meal, it could be from hypoglycemia, low blood sugar.

I had my first tonic clonic (grand mal) seizure while coming out of the shower and suffered 1st and 2nd degree burns. That was 38 years ago. At the time, I had been experiencing complex partial seizures, but didn't realize that is what they were at the time. I thought I was just weirding out. When I went to my doctor, he said I was suffering from hypoglycemia.
Two months later, I had my first tonic clonic seizure. Ever since then, I have not had full control of my seizures, even after brain surgery, 15 plus meds and the Vagus Nerve Stimulator.

And now I do have Diabetes. Sometimes I do go into hypoglycemia, and it sort of does feel like a CP seizure, but not really. I am able to speak during a hypoglycemic episode but not during a CP seizure. Once I get some sugary food in me, I am fine in about 5 minutes.

I'm telling you all this because sometimes meds do weird things, so have you discussed your problems with your neurologist?

Anytime a lot while I'm eat, or using the bathroom. I hate all the meds.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Hi Sweetroll,

I used to have seizures a lot when I was in the bathroom especially when I was taking a shower and I found out it was do to the hot water hitting my head. The hot water was firing up the neurons in my brain and in turn that triggered seizures. Also if you have a bright light in your bathroom that may be triggering the seizure this is known as being photosensitive meaning bright light or certain color lights will trigger seizures. I had a special e.e.g. done where the Dr. flashed different color strobe lights and this is how he found certain colors were triggering seizures for me.
In regard to eating the only thing I can think of is if you are using nutra sweet (aspartame) or eating foods with msg in them because that can trigger seizures for some people. Take note also of what foods you are eating during the day along with what time the seizures happen and keep a log of them writing down what type of seizure it was and what time the seizure happened this will help your Dr. see a possible pattern in your seizures. I always have them the 3rd week of the month no matter what. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

The act of eating does it doesn't matter what food. They happen anytime I am however more active at night. The bathroom dose it too, not sure if it's going to the bathroom that does it or just the bathroom.

I've often had seizures while in or right after taking a shower. In fact, I just had that happen to me 2 weeks ago. We were at my husband's nephews near Indianapolis. I was up early as usual (everyone else was sleeping), & went to get ready. The next thing I knew, I was 'coming to' laying on the bathroom floor. I still didn't fully comprehend what had happened until a while later. I was looking for something that should have been in my suitcase, but found it laying on the bathroom floor.

I have the same kinda stuff happen. One time I was up for most the day took a shower saw blood flow from my head. I didn't have a seizure that I was aware of. Got out showed my Mom. She said we need to goto ER. 12 staples in my head to close it up. Still to this day don't know how or what happened.

One day about 3 years ago, I probably had a complex partial & fell during my shower. My left shoulder was SORE, and that side of my head was, too. I was alone at home. Now, I try to make sure that 1 of my sons or my husband is home.
While we still lived in our condo, I had one where I pulled the shower curtain rod down, flooding the bathroom. Thankfully, our condo is on the ground floor.

I thought i was having seizures in the shower, but it turned out that the change in temperature from the hot water in the winter and the cold water in the summer was making me dizzy. My shower is over the bath, so i fell out of it a few times, fainting.

I used to have a client (worked with adults with learning disabilities) whose seizures were triggered by stairs, no kidding. I think in his case he just really hated stairs and it was the anxiety that actually triggered his seizures.

I apparently had a complex partial yesterday morning, just after a shower. Both my sons were asleep. I realized that I had one because I had soreness in the right side of my neck (it still is) & my left elbow. There's a sore spot on my left thigh, too. I also found some things out of place.

Hi Sabbo,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a seizure in the shower, take my word it's happened to me many times over the yrs. Try and keep the water a little cooler and maybe that will help. I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

i have had a seizure in the shower, and am still aggro with someone for just just turning off the water and throwing a towel over as they took a shit.

Sorry to hear that. I have come to and found pockets empty before. I think you should get some new roommates. Are these people your family, friends, or strangers? I hope it gets better for you and your living situation. I hate it when I'm undressed and have one. People need more compassion for each other. God bless you.

parent, i have only had my cell phone stolen once in central california, they were nice enough to call 911 first.

they person that aggravated me, pushed me to the point I moved out, they were making my seizures worse by stressing me out.

I hope things get better for you. For me the loss of my Son is kicking in causing all kinds of emotions, which in turn gives me uncontrolled seizures. Stay strong.

yeah, being able to find a zen place goes a long way. and no matter how calm you can make yourself, unfortunately that armor cracks for no reason every so often, so it is important to have a reliable support staff that serves no other purpose than to just be there for you, even if the cost is to just be for them. you would be amazed the number of people need that person in their life who they know will always be there for them no matter what even if it is to just listen to them talk sometimes, and if they know that person will be for them, a lot of people unfortunately not everyone, but a lot of people will got of out their way to be their for them. ramble ramble ramble

Your right it helps me. I have my mother to help me it helps so much. Know I just worry about something happening to her. The worry gives me seizures so I need to get a hold on it.

i know it is hard, and it is supposed to be, but sometimes you have to be able to let the unhealthy things go and only hold on to the things that make your life better

Back
Top Bottom