Behaviour during a complex partial

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Is it just me? Your symptoms during a complex partial serizure

Hey everyone,

First of all, I'm very happy I have found a place where I can meet others to find support for epilepsy. Look forward to getting to know people here :)

I have never been diligent with taking my meds and getting adequate rest. I would skip taking meds, not take them on time (3 hours late) and doing a lot of physical activity with only a little amount of sleep as well as not being hydrated. I done this for 3 years. I would have complex partials where I mumble, make odd sounds, rotate my head, veins in my head and arms would pop out and my wrists rotate. Even complex partials where all these actions occur at the same time. I also had complex partials where I would show aggressive behaviour e.g I would grab my brother around the chest and hold him very tight, the more he tried to get out of the hold the more aggressive I became. Once I had a complex partial then started cussing like crazy about one of my brothers who wasn't present.

I now take meds on time and never miss a day (3 weeks) and during a complex partial I'm more relaxed now.

What symptoms do you experience during a complex partial please?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi h_u1987,

I don't get complex partials myself, just wanted to welcome you to the site. Welcome!
I'm sure others will chime in with their complex partial symptoms; yours do sound typical, particularly the mumbling, head rotation, and aggressive behavior.

Best,
Nakamova

I have complex partials on my period or right before; this is the only time. Meds control them the rest of the month but for some reason, they can't handle the extra surge of estrogen that happens when I begin my period. I began 8 years ago; before that I had grand mals but they were completely controlled by meds for 28 years. I don't have grand mals any longer. My Complex partials started by me continuing to do whatever I was doing when they began. For example, if I were walking, I would continue to walk in that direction even if it were in front of a truck. When I woke up, it felt like a dream. I found myself in the men's restroom once (lucky there was no one there). Now, I am getting up and walking and doing stuff which is scary. I much rather have a grand mal than a complex partial. For some reason there is more discrimination against people who have the complex partials than those who have grand mals.

Thanks for the reply. Did it take you time to find the right meds to control your complex partials?
When you say you do scary stuff, if you don't mind. Can you share some of the stuff you do? I just want to know if people do similar things to me when they have complex partials.

Before, if I were sitting when they occurred, I would stay sitting. I just kept doing whatever I was doing before they began so If were walking, I would keep walking unaware that I was crossing a busy street with cars coming or I would keep walking in the same direction even if I ran into a wall.

Now, if I am sitting, I will actually get up and start walking. I was in a meeting at work and I got up out of my chair and started walking around the room unaware of it. Once I was sitting behind my desk talking to someone in my office and I got up and walked out of the room while they were talking and when I woke up I was in the bathroom unaware of how I got there. I mean scary because I am moving even if I was previously sitting down. Once I was walking out of Wal-Mart and tried to open the car door of a car that was not mine!

The meds work all of the time except during my period. This is the only time I have these seizures. I am seizure free the rest of the month. I started having grand mals when I had my first period but Tegretol controlled them for 28 years. When I started pre menopause, I began having the complex partials around my period. They tried adding Keppra and Neurotin but neither worked. I am on Vimpat but it has not worked either. I don't have the grand mals just the complex partials.

What was the reason to start using pre menopause? I have never taken my meds diligently. But now I am so hopefully I can become seizure free. Even though I have not been consistent with taking my meds, I have only had 4 tonic clonics and the last was in 2010, however I have had many complex partials. I'm currently taking epilim 1500 mg dosage with lamotrigine 50 mg dosage in the morning and repeat the same dosage for the two drugs at night. Since I've been taking meds at a set time and every day I have had 3 complex partials from 13 days. Do you have any suggestions please on what else I can do to get my seizures under control?

Do you keep a diary of your symptoms? Sometimes you can find patterns in when your partials occur, or triggers that seem to play a role.

The reason they became uncontrolled during peri menopause is because at this time hormones become erratic and my seizures are hormone related. I began having them during puberty and then they were controlled until this time when hormones are out of whack again.
Have you determined the cause of your seizures? What do your doctors say?

Hey there, Menopause is the pits isn't it. My seizures aren't menopausal but my mood swings are another story. My symptoms are olfactory hallucinations, absence seizures, slurred speech and dyslexia, foggy headedness and hangovers, and panic attacks or dizzy spells. I also blank out and put things in places they shouldn't be. I don't get jerks but I have symptoms that are changing and I was only diagnosed in Dec. I really don't know where mine is headed but we are trying to get it under control. Good luck with you and take I would Nakamova's advice. A diary is very handy especially to relay to your neurologist. I have a brain like a sieve at the moment so the diary definitely comes in handy.

Back
Top Bottom