A bit worried :(

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

*xmeganx*

New
Reaction score
Hi im new to the forum and im sorry for the long post, my name is megan and im 17. I have suffered from absence seizures for four years now, i was managing with them without them interfering too much in my life. That was up until two weeks ago, i stayed over at my friends house and in the morning when i was in the bathroom i had a tonic clonic seizure, the only thing i remember is coming round to see my friend crying and hugging me and the paramedics who took me to hopsital, this really shook me up as i had never had a tonic clonic seizure before. In the past two weeks i have been put on medication and havent had one when ive been on medication.

The reason i am posting this thread is because im going out on saturday night for the first time since i suffered the seizure and im worried that it might happen again because i think the reason why i had it before was because i had a few of the triggers i was really tired because i work on a saturday, i was stressed and i had a bit of alcohol. Im worried now because im working on saturday again so i will be tired, im not having alcohol but im just worried it will happen again and i was just wondering how everyone else is with having nights out and if they ever feel nervous? x

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm

glad you're cutting out the alcohol :) That's a good thing :)

As for the rest, you really need to find a good way to get the sleep that you need before and after you go out with your friends----no ifs, ands, or buts about it. We E patients HAVE to have it, no matter what. Especially if it's one of your known triggers, "dahlin'" :)

Now, go have some fun, but be careful doing so...... and we'll be thinking of you. Oh, and don't forget to start an E journal!

Take care,

Meetz
:rock:

Hi and welcome to the forum! And your post isn't too long :p

I feel nervous too when i go out. I drink the alcohol free versions of beer now when i'm out of the house. They taste just like normal beer and you don't get the "nudge nudge wink wink ooh why aren't you drinking then?"

I try to get a good nights sleep too, especially if i know i'm going to be out late, as the tonic clonics i've had have been very early in the morning. Also, my advice to you is not to worry too much about it - it can cause the stress i suppose.

Just be careful when you're out - make sure you get a taxi home, don't go wild etc.

Good luck!

Hi Megan, welcome to the forum. :hello:

My wife's seizure threshold is very sensitive to lack of sleep. It's something we have to respect or consequences ensue.

Have fun, but make good decisions for yourself. :twocents:

At first we thought stress and exhaustion were triggers for my daughter, when really it has been nutrition that caused her seizure threshold to be lowered. When your body is strong nutritionally, it should be able to handle an increase in stress.

As for your date, think positive thoughts. You were seizure free for 13 yrs. Don't allow negative thoughts to bring about negative situations. Learn a few stress reduction techniques, and you should have a wonderful time. Then come back here an learn some how nutrition can play a role in neurological changes.

One thing you mustn't do, is let it get the better of you. Don't let it rob you of your social life and mostly, try not to worry about it! I agree with the others, sleep plenty beforehand, I know it's mostly just kids that have naps, but they do help! And make sure you're always with people who know the situation - good luck! Wish I had the guts to sort my social life out but I'm not on any meds yet =S

Thank you for all your replies it really helps to be able to talk about this with people who understand. I'll make sure that i get plenty of sleep beforehand because i know that has a major impact and ill make sure i stay calm because if im in a rush i think i get a bit stressed then!

I am just going to concentrate on having fun instead of worrying about this otherwise it will just take hold and ill be constantly worrying which will make things worse

Thank you :)

the medecine will help, and you take care of yourself. you cant drink but you can have fun, take a nap during your free time. i have grand mal and absence seizures but its been under control for 4 years now and im thankful. i have to believe its under control though. anxiety will really get to you if you worry yourself too much. epilepsy is apart of you it doesnt run your life have fun :e:

Back
Top Bottom