brain surgery is scheduled

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey ya'll,

Well, I've gone to Duke Medical Center in N.C. and had a second opinion about my giant brain tumor. No dice. Same diagnosis. Major surgery and no guarantee that the seizures will stop and 100% chance that the tumor will grow back and surgery will have to be repeated in a few to several years. I didn't care for the surgeon. He was neither cuddly nor wuddly. So...I have gone back to see my original fabulously friendly neurosurgeon in Norfolk and scheduled the surgery. The Official Noggin Cracking will take place on Jan. 11th at 7 AM. I have several pre-op tests to complete before surgery including a CT/angiogram of my brain. JOY. The nurse said that the contrast used will make me sick. There is nothing like anticipation you know. Anyway, today my husband and I are having a pig picking (READ: BBQ humongous hog in backyard) for all of our friends and family to gather and celebrate. I'm trying to keep up a brave front....but I'm scared poopless.

I'd love to hear from ya'll. The Keppra is doing OK. I've had 2 breakthrough seizures and a couple auras so they have upped my dosage. I feel fine except for the lingering sadness and worry about the surgery. I decided to have it after the holidays so that I can see my sister and her husband and kids one more time before the noggin cracking. I've got faith and my students have been very sweet. Everything will be OK. Talk to ya'll later, I've got to finish cleaning before everybody gets here. :)

Heather

Well ..... (filthy word) .... but positive thought. I understand what you're feeling and it sure ain't no fun. Could I say that it probably will turn out to be easier than it seems ... at least it did for me ?
I'm so sorry it's turned out like that for you. I'll be praying for you.

Thanks Nancy. You are so nice. My husband and I are praying for a smooth operation and a quick recovery without any rehab needed. :tup: The biggest risks with this surgery are stroke during surgery and aseptic meningitis during recovery. They are going to put me on steroids after surgery and probably leave a stint in for awhile to help with intracranial pressure. If neccessary they will do a spinal tap to drain off fluid. It is still so strange to me to talk about such things in reference to myself. Mindblowing..HA pun intended.:pfft:

Ah Oh! Been caught on the 'puter! Better go and party with Pookie (hubby) our friends will be here soon. Talk more later. :hi5:

Heather

Heather - you sound in good spirits about the situation. That will help you see a positive outcome I am sure. I will continue to wish you all the best.

Hang in there Moxiecat!.....

I just wanted to tell you about a friend of ours. Her name is Connie and she was our son's teacher. We got along really well with her and became fast friends. When she found out about my epilepsy, she let us in on the fact she had had brain surgery to remove a tumor! It was a BASEBALL sized tumor that was removed and it was growing in size. Long story short, she had no ill-effects from the surgery and basically everything was fixed!

Here's hopin' it goes as easily for you!

Peace.
:rock:

Hello Heather,
You have a lot of pluses on your side, most important being your attitude and that you have friends and family who love and are with you. That only increases the chances that you will make the best possible recovery from the surgery. I am wishing you the best for the operation.

:hello: Heather!

I have a friend who's heading be
Duking it out at Duke on Monday!
(Love that phrase!)
And I'm so sorry to hear you've
having to undergo through all of
that!

:(

((((((( Hugs )))))))))

But welcome aboard on this CWE
Ship! It totally Rocks here! :rock:

Good Luck Heather. Our thoughts and prayers are and will be with you. I hope your party was a huge success.
Marian

Same diagnosis. Major surgery and no guarantee that the seizures will stop and 100% chance that the tumor will grow back and surgery will have to be repeated in a few to several years.

100% chance? Why not try juicing carrots and beets daily (do some digging and you will see they can inhibit cancer/tumors)? Sounds like you have nothing to lose.

I'm trying to keep up a brave front....but I'm scared poopless.

{{{{{{Heather}}}}}}

Maybe some good news here ...

Moxie:

I shared your story with someone else who
had almost the same case of situation, and
he had to go through the second surgery and
the second surgery was a charm!

From Tyrone:

tell her that when theey told me this i was so depresssed. i didnt need to here this again. but when i went 4 the second 1 it went good!!! surgon gots most everybit out. praise god! now my meds are way down!!! i still get sz but nohting like b4! i 1 time wuz takking 4 diffrent meds, now just 2 meds! lamitical and keppra at low amt. epi gonna cut lamitical off next year. glory! took 2 years b4 they start med cut off. no more toomurs. never came back. its been nearly 4 yaers now. i pray 4 u!

Ty

I hope his message, typos and all be of encouragement!

And I agree, will keep you in thoughts and
prayers too!

:woot:

Thanks everybody. Party was supreme success. I appreciate all the love and support to be found here. :hi5:

I'll keep ya'll updated.

Surgery

I know how you feel, because of my surgery. Yes it is very scary, but with prays from my wife we knew God was watching over me as I went thru the surgery. Yes it is very important that you like your doctor. I was lucky that I had two doctors that am so glad that I had them for my doctors. I was at the place were nothing was helping me. I was one that was able to have the surgery and I am so glad I did, it has changed my life for the better. Yes every thing will go well and you’re come out better then you are know.
My prays are with you.

100% chance? Why not try juicing carrots and beets daily (do some digging and you will see they can inhibit cancer/tumors)? Sounds like you have nothing to lose.

Hey,

My tumor is composed of healthy skin cells, they are just trapped in my brain. That's why they will grow back. I take a vegetable/fruit/berry product called Juice Plus. My aunt swears by it as does my grandmother. Check it out on line. The computer won't let me post the link but if you go to Google, type in Juice Plus. Promise I'm not a malicious troll. :banana:

Hang on moxiecat74!

Hi,
Just a few ideas to share...
  • Future forcast?
Nothing is written in stone. If things are that bad, all that can happen is that it will get better. you'll see in time. Just look at weather forecast, they are far from beeing true 3 days appart, imagine years or months appart?
  • Science progress everyday
so bet on it!

I have some common issues with you. My tumor (as large as a ping pong ball) was removed. Because of its nature, it may come back. statistically speaking, 50% of the people get another tumor in the next 12 years. It may be the same nature (benign or malicious). I pray it won't come back and that I'll be safe. But, when my mood is down, I look at it like 10 years is a lot of time for medicine. Anyway, I hope this can help you seeing things differently

So hang on to your life! I hope you'll get well
:wave:

HI Heather

I'll be praying for you as you go through the anticipation and the surgery itself.
Lots of hugs for you ((((((((Heather))))))))

Hello Moxiecat!!!

My name is Tate..... I am 29 I live in Australia, I have just got home after surgery I had a 2 phase procedure done the 1st step they placed electrobe grids on the surface of my brain and then one week later performed a resection removing a large area in the right frontal/- frontal area....... The proceedure all went very smoothly As I am Positive yours will too!!!!
Not worrying and not thinking bout it is very hard I know..... But trying to remain positive and keep the stress and anxiety down is ever so important!!!!
anticipation and the not knowing is hardus humans like to know everything. We have such brilliant surgeons and medical abilities today...... to them its just in a normal days work!!... They just happen to be brilliant at what they do.... I am sure you will be in the safest of hands....

You will be in my thoughts and my prayers....... and i will be sending you all the positivness I can muster!!!!

I look forward to hearing all your brilliant positive news!!!!

Lots of hugs for you ((((((((((((( Tate ))))))))))))))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom