Brand New Here...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I'm so glad I found this resource.

The username I chose (and use for my blog, other sites, etc.) is 2nd Chances, because it's what I felt I've been given... until recently.

2 fever induced febrile seizures as a baby, meds till 5. At age 21, my seizures returned, often 5-10 (or more) per day, meds did nothing. Had a right temporal lobectomy about 2 years later, and was great... until this past May.

I used my 2nd Chance at life, to live. I stopped taking things for granted, I did more with my son, I started doing triathlons! Suddenly in May, 9 months after getting married, the seizures returned out of the blue, with a vengeance. (Thankfully I wasn't running, riding my bike, or swimming in the middle of the lake when they decided to come back!)

Here we go again. :( I'm having a much harder time dealing with my loss of independence this time, and while blessed to be able from work at home, I'm having a hard time functioning while taking Dilantin and Vimpat. Anyone else out there have the same/similar struggles?

I look forward to getting to know more people that understand.
Take care.

Hi 2ndchances, welcome to CWE!

I'm sorry for your setback, and hope you can find a way to have seizure control without sacrificing quality of life. I don't which meds you've tried -- maybe all of them -- but if the Vimpat and Dilantin are intolerable it's worth a discussion with your neurologist about other options to consider.

You will find plenty of empathy and understanding here -- CWE members have seen it all (bad meds, good meds, bad docs, good docs, surgery, remission, relapse, etc.) collectively and individually as well.

Best,
Nakamova

Welcome to CWE.

This forum has been the best thing for me in helping understand all that goes with having E.

I am on Dilantin and Clonazepam, these are the only meds. that are able to control my seizures for the most part, and give me quality of life.

I was having problems in spring of 2011, NO energy. I found my B-12 to be VERY low.
Taking these meds. I found they deplete the vitamins our bodies need.

Thank you Nakamova and jyearta for the warm welcome! When I went through this 12 years ago, there were no forums like this to turn to, this is great!

jyearta, I will ask about the b12 next time I'm at the doc's... I've seen that a few times, thank you!

Hi 2ndchances, welcome to CWE.

My story is a little similar to yours. I had epilepsy as a baby & took tonic clonic seizures from 9 months - approx 3 & was on meds until I was 7. I was 21 years seizure free until I started taking seizures again in 2002 at the age of 24. We tried 5 different meds but no meds controlled the auras & complex partials. I had left front temporal lobe surgery in March last year & so far I have been seizure free since surgery.

I hope you are able to get your seizures under control.

Happy that you're seizure-free, CQ:)! I look forward to the day I will be, again!! *said in my most hopeful voice, batting my eyelashes, fingers crossed*

Back
Top Bottom