can flu shot lead to seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi. New here. A couple of weeks ago my 15 year old son had 3 seizures. He's a perfectly healthy teenager. He was really tired the day before everything began. The morning of seizure, he woke up with bite marks on his tongue. At time, we thought it was irritations, but it must have been a seizure. Later in school, he had full grand mal seizure and another one in emergency room. 2 days before all this began, he had the flu shot. It seems too coincidental to me, though every doctor we spoke with said that the flu shot wouldn't have caused this. All tests (CT scan, EEG and MRI) were fine thank goodness. My husband has a seizure about 20 years ago with no known cause either. Drs. say there is a genetic factor. My guess is that my son had a genetic predisposition and the flu shot brought it out. Curious if others had similar experience.

Im no doctor, but I wouldnt think the flu shot would cause seizures. Ive had epilepsy all my life and have gotten lots of flu shots, but havnt had any concerns with seizures after getting them. All my MRIs come back normal, but my EEG's come back with seizure activity.

Nope, the flu shot isn't likely to be the culprit. In rare cases it can cause febrile seizures in very young children, but there isn't any known link between the flu shot and seizures in adults.

The #1 trigger for seizures is fatigue, so if the vaccine contributed to poor sleep that could have been a secondary factor for your son. Almost any kind of stressor can be a seizure trigger, and the genetic predisposition means that your son may be slightly more vulnerable to a given trigger.

Here's hoping it's just a one-off event, as it was for husband.

I'm one where the flu shot, made feel like I was going to have a seiz. all day. I never had a seizure.
A week later I got a shingle shot and had 2 seizures.
In both the cases, for me the is better than a week of the flu, which I will have more seizures. Plus when I am given anti. I have more seizures.

Back
Top Bottom