Can I have my life back?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Oh! and as for tests...I've had E for over 30 years, and only had 2 EEGs that were NOT normal. My MRI's say I'm perfectly normal too. :)

Wow, thanks for all the info everyone. It is really hard for me to keep a journal. I keep hearing that, but I really don't know when I have a seizure. I'd say at least 98 % I don't know about. I don't have these auras that everyone talks about. I'm scared to death to tell my students about it or even the teachers. I've told the administrators and one teacher. I guess I'm not ready to yet, and might not be until forced to do so. THey are usually just a few seconds and I've been told I pick up right where I left off. I went to the doctor yesterday, and he of course reminded me "no stress". Yeah right. And he wants me to go and see if I'm a candidate for surgery. He is telling me that I've tried the newer drugs, and that if I try the older ones, I'm in for trouble with serious life long side effects. Is that true???? I'm really not ready for surgery. So, what now? I have not been able to find any one thing that triggers me to have seizures. My mom thinks it is stress, but I don't. I am not pleased to hear that OTC decongestants may cause them, because as a teacher, I get sick, and I have been fighting chronic sinus problems all of my life. I can expect to have problems any day now with that. Last year, the only way I got through was daily doses of musinex with decongestants! It kept me from getting infections. I have gone off the caffiene. I already have low blood sugar and try very hard to eat right. But hey, we all fall off the wagon once in awhile right? I am feeling a little better emotionally, but I am really not too sure of how many seizures I've had this week. Everytime I hear about another seizure I get upset. The last I know of was a few days ago. My daughter, unfortunately leaves every other weekend, so she hasn't been here to tell me whether I've had any or not. I don't think my students would know as they don't know me yet. I am wondering if hormones have caused my problem. My family has early menopause, and it has been along time since...well you get the picture. This is long, so I'll sign off, but thanks everyone for the advice. I'll try hard to keep track.

My doctors

have said nothing to me about any lifelong side effects of using Mucinex, and I've been taking it for years now. 4 times a day for that matter, I'm like you, I have chronic sinusitis without it, and I can't have the needed surgery to relieve it, as my seizures occur nocturnally, and my neuro absolutely forbids any elective surgery where I have to go under.......

Anyone take dilantin? Not sure on the spelling? That is what the doctor wants me to try next.

Yes, I do. Please make certain that you're not given it for a long peropd of time b/c of the irreversible side effeects. I've been on it for nearly 40 yrs. & I questioned my neurologist about it 25 yrs. ago. Please make certain that you know for how long you'll need to take it b/c of these side effects.

Peachy,

I don't always have auras but certain things happen with me sometime after a seizure that tell me I've had a sz sometime.I might loose control of my bladder.
I may be talking to someone on the phone and hang up on them.
Things like that tell me I've had a sz or sometime I just simply know I've had a seizure.
YOU spelled Dilantin right I just haven't taken it in 11 years.
Belinda

Last edited:
Hi peachy, welcome to the forum. :hello:

My wife is taking Dilantin. It's an older AED and usually pretty effective and well tolerated, though long term use is linked to several problems.

Did the onset of your seizure activity occur after the car accident, or was the accident caused by a seizure?

I ask because lots of people develop seizure conditions from TBIs after car accidents. EEG neurofeedback can help in those cases. It's a matter of the brain learning how to work around damaged (scar) tissue.

Back
Top Bottom