Can this be me?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

henhouse

New
Reaction score
Hi! My name is Bill. Age, 52. Married, two kids (9 and 11) and shaggy dog (Elvis). Seizures began almost ten year ago. Partial complex. I understand I have "kindling epilepsy". Until recently, I had seizures every 4 - 6 weeks. Typically 45 - 60 minutes apart for 6 to 8 hours. They have evolved over time, up and down in severity with different manifestations. How did they start? As far as I am concerned: I have asthma.

In October of 1998 I had a "prednisone burst" prescribed, 2 meds and 2 inhalators. I suspect I accidentally OD'd on an inhalator. Seizures was a listed side-effect of OD on one of them. I went to see my intern about six months later because after I had these not unpleasant "spells" I could not remember simple things, such as my dad's phone number or where the on button was on my computer. I was able to re-trace when I had my "spells", e.g. the night I was out to dinner with the guys - so I was able to see the 4 - 6 week pattern. Coincidentally, at the same time as the prednisone burst I began getting allergy shots, every 4 - 6 weeks.

Sounds simple, huh? But the allergy shots and the seizures didn't otherwise have a connection, e.g. it wasn't as though I would have a sezure 14 days after every allergy shot. And my allergist had me skip an allergy shot and I had a seizure anyway. I have never had control with medication. I started on Tegrotol then added dilantin. My seizures got worse over time. Eventually I went to lamicatal. For about six years I faithfully took my pesribed medications. Then, when I thought I was seeing some improvement, I went off my meds for one wonderful month.

After about four weeks I confided in my wife. On the 42nd day (6 weeks) I had severe seizures, I bit my tongue, I was a bloody mess. The paramedics asked my wife if I was taking my meds. She said "yes", so they pumped me full of lamictal. 3 and 1/2 days later I came out of the coma!!! Something good did come out of it. I had been taking sleeping pills, temazepan. I had tried to take one every 7 - 10 days. Then I learned I could take 1 - 3 every night. I have taken 1 a night ever since. Afterward I went on lamicatal and keppra. I had nine months of control, but at the doseage I couldn't function, e.g. to work. So the keppra was removed and the seizures returned. There is a connection with my seizures and my sleep. However, I could have stayed up all night for 4 weeks, no problem.

Between 4 to 6 weeks, big problem. My previous sleep pattern was that I would fall asleep no problem, then wake up after an hour and a half or so, and be awake for a couple of hours. The sleeping pills break that pattern. There have been dramatic changes in my work and play; but I (Pollyanna now speaking) would say they balance out EXCEPT for the d$#@&d meds!!! Now I take lamicatal 400 per day. Pretty much every time, after 4 weeks I think I am cured. After July 07, I had only seizure, not a bunch on one day. Then I had one three weeks apart. Two weeks ago I had them in my sleep (first time).

Also, I think I am feeling warnings a couple of days before. Depending on the severity, it can take me 4 - 5 days to get back to being mentally normal, about a 20% improvment each day.

Well, if you have read this far, I look forward to meeting you. Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Hello there Bill!

Nice to meet you! The prednasone you were taking was for asthma, how much was the dosage? I take it now about 10mg in the am for RA. Can't get the flares to stop, always hurting some damn place or another.

I've been sezure free for 2 1/2 years and off all AEDS for 14 months. Mine is idiopathic that began suddenly at age 47. It's been a wild adventure!

I think you'll like it here, there is a slew of wonderful people from evey aspect of Epilepsy so our experiances are broad-reaching.

:hello: Bill

Welcome to CWE! Hope you didn't
mind me editing your post a little
bit to space it out for people to be
able to read it easier. Sorry you had
to undergo all of those harrowing
experiences!

But like Birdy posted - you'll find
a lot of friendly folks here who have
all different experiences and degrees
and angles and so on!

You'll love it here!

Hi Bill, welcome to the forum. :hello:

There is a ton of information here in the forum about the realtionship of seizures and sleep, sleep apnea, seratonin, 5-HTP, etc. A good place to start reading is the best threads index.

Make yourself at home here. :)

Hey Bill -
sounds like you have a regular chemical factory going on there.
Have you ever seen any info on how diet can play a part in all of this? Even more so when you went 40+ yrs without.
What was working then and isn't anymore?

Hello Bill!...

...work that sleep man...I found out I had sleep apnea. Made a huge diff.

Also, RELAX...best you can anyways....it'll help more than anything else!

Good Luck!
:rock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom