can seizures cause strange mental thoughts in your mind after having even a small one

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirk267

New
Reaction score
Hi! so did everyone have a merry christmas? I hope you all did because I did.

Anyways my seizures basically usually hinder my sleep when there not under control because that is basically the only time I've had them (grand mal and petite mal). Myneurologist says it's because I have a sleeping disorder since they always seem to be active when I'm sleeping or trying to get to sleep. Can this really be classified as a sleeping disorder?

I was wondering if they can make cause you to think funny thoughts that want to make you laugh out loud, or even frighten you sometimes?

I'm not even currently diagnosed with depression or any mental illness issues and these strange thoughts just seem to be popping out of nowhere after it wakes me up at night!

So has anyone that has epilepsy had similar side effects because I don't see any of these symptoms listed in the side FX area on any of the Fact sheets that I've read over and over again?

I've even been waked up by one just to find out that I've broken out in a cold sweat!

I've told my neurologists that I've had these symptoms basically everytime I see him and it does'nt seem like he really believing because there not listed under the side FX area on the fact sheets.

Does anyone here have a suggestion or any type of information so I can better understand these strange symptoms I've been dealing with basically so far throughout my entire life being an adult?

Because my neurologist really has no comment really on whats going on in my head as far as epileptic seizures go. All he suggests or concludes on increasing or decreasing my medication dosages that I take at bed time since they always occur during the time when I'm sleeping.

Thanks for your help and support and I wish you all the best in 2008 so have a happy new year! ok?

kirk,
hang in there... being New Year's eve many are busy.
I don't have an answer for you... but if Rebecca were telling me these things, I would start feeding in some of the words that you use into a Google search.
Plus just because a side effect that you are having hasn't been reported to the pharmaceutical companies doesn't mean it can't happen with your chemistry.
Have I shared this site with you?:
www.askapatient.com
You might find others that have witnessed the same thing.

When Rebecca was trying out her first drug (tegretol xr) she had some severe vision loss. Would happen instantly, and sometimes go away within minutes but other times it lasted for a few days. Her doctor tried to tell me that it wasn't due to the medicine. Even though on the side effect list, it showed blurred vision as a symptom.
Funny thing.. it went away after a few weeks being off of the drug.
Would you consider getting another opinion? Perhaps your neuro just hasn't run across this type of symptom before.

When you are sleeping and this happens is it similar to dreams? (or nightmares?)

Hang in there, others will be along to offer their wisdom.
Happy Holidays to you too. Nice to know you are enjoying them.

Often folic acid is recommended by the doctors since it is destroyed by many anticonvulsants. It sometimes gives a reduction in seizure frequency and it often gives an improvement in peripheral symptoms such as mental state, mood, intellectual speed, alertness, concentration, self confidence, independence and sociability. However, if you are pregnant and not taking any B supplements it is probably a very good idea to have some extra folic acid or brewer's yeast.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Epilepsy-and-Nutrition

Welcome Kirk!.....

Yes! I've read posts by members claiming to have extreme thoughts\do silly things, etcetera...

I don't hold a lot of faith in a doctor who dismisses your claims on this subject. You have not mentioned WHAT meds you are taking, but most neurological drugs can cause moodiness among other things.

Keep a close eye on this, especially if it is disturbing your sleep cycles...that is a downward spiral into seizure-city in most cases due to the stress it puts on you physically over time.

Due some searches on this forum for 'mood' 'sleep disorder' 'depression' and so on....there is A LOT of talk on the subject! Many good links to valuable information are listed among the various threads as well!

If I get some time I will search for something specific for you!

Peace!
:rock:

Happy New Year to you too Kirk!

:hello: Kirk!

Welcome to CWE! Yes, seizures, no
matter what type or kind ... can be
best quoted by a Epilepsy Foundation
poster's post

EPILEPSY CAN TAKE YOU FOR A
VERY STRANGE RIDE!

:agree:

There's no further truth than that post
above! Whether it be thoughts to reactions,
during a seizure or post-ictal (after a seizure).

My ex and son used to just "ride it out"
by trying to put me to bed if I'm not in
bed asleep. I've even experienced wild
dreams ... Can you say "Technicolor"?
and I could almost quote Dr. Martin L.
King's .. "I had a dream ....." only that
it was a very strange one.

So Kirk, you are not alone. I've experienced
it whether being on meds or off meds.

I KNOW I've had very strange thoughts after I've had t/c's. When I've been able to think again......my brain's usually scrambled eggs for a few days, then the weird thoughts show up for several DAYS, THEN I can begin to think semi-normally again. Well, as normal as normal can be, for me, that is. Ahem.

Meetz

Last edited:
Hello Kirk,
Welcome to the forum! Yes, even small seizures can make you have "funny" thoughts, and scarey ones too. It just depends on what part of your brain is being affected when you have a seizure. They can also make you hear sounds, smell strange odors or have strange physical sensations.
Any kind of sleep problem can make you more likely to have seizure so this may well be part of what's triggering the weirdeness. Laughing, crying, sudden feelings of rage or fear can be triggered by seizures, so you aren't crazy, just prone to sudden unexpected emotions due to seizures.
I used to get the sweats like you mention with nocturnal seizures. A registered nutritionist pointed out that if one has trouble digesting milk lactic acid can build up in the blood and trigger an "adrenaline rush" setting off the rapid heart rate and panic type symptoms, even seizures. I stopped drinking milk and milk products and this really helped stop that type of seizure.
Homocysteine can accumulate in the blood when we are low on some vitamins, especially B12, B6, and folic acid. Taking these vitamins can lower the homocysteine levels.
There may be a lot you can do for yourself, looking at diet and supplements. Try some google searches on "seizure threshold" "metabolic acidosis", "seizure threshold" ; "homocysteine" "B vitamins" "seizure threshold"; and "seizure threshold" "taurine".
Taurine is an amino acid that helped me get my seizures under control some years ago. Also, try a google search on "sleep disorders" "metabolic acidosis." Have you tried any diets for managing your seizures? From what you said, I'm wondering if the seizures and sleep disorder are tied together. Working on one, may help the other. What have you tried besides drugs for the seizures? Take heart, you aren't alone and there's plenty you can do to address the symptoms you have now. Happy New Year!

Does anyone here have a suggestion or any type of information so I can better understand these strange symptoms I've been dealing with basically so far throughout my entire life being an adult?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom