Coping With Epilepsy Neurofeedback & Counseling Associates
10% off neurofeedback training for CWE members - Las Vegas, NV and Denver, CO
Neurofeedback Partner - Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Our House > The Foyer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 PM
New Here

Can someone Answer this Please

I am also new here. I have had nocturnal seizures for over 20 years, always when I sleep, even during the day when I nap. Sometimes they come with aura or my eyelid twitches or index finger twitches. Afterwards, I am always paranoid and have a severe headache. I have tonic clonic movements from a witness to them which last over a minute, but of course if feels longer because usually I'm aware that I'm seizing and they always feel longer. I'm taking high doses of Depakote, Keppra and Topamax but still have these seizures. The next day the headache lasts throughout and I still have a disgusting feeling in my head like a nasty heaviness on the left side of my head that clings throughout the day. I was wondering if this was a common feeling and what caused it? Thanks anyone for your help in advance.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 7,318 Times in 5,401 Posts
Hey stueystu,

It's fairly common to have post-seizure headaches. They come in all shapes and sizes. Do yours respond at all to pain-relievers? Since your seizures are nocturnal, that may make things worse -- your sleep is interrupted by the seizures, causing fatigue, which can in turn trigger more seizures.

Have you ever had a sleep study done? There may be factors like sleep apnea that are playing a role in your seizures.

Best,
Nakamova
Old 12-01-2011, 11:16 PM
New Here

I'm a nocturnal t/c too and I end up with pounding headaches and poor muscle control after. My head normally feels about 20lbs heavier as well. I've found that some of the heat up sports stuff (I have what looks like a tube sock full of beans that you microwave) for putting on muscles tends to help on the neck. Vomiting is a common occurrence too....and from what I've read it is common for most nocturnal t/c seizures.

Oh, and welcome also. I'm a newbie here too.

Last edited by Firefight33; 12-01-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:05 AM
New Here

Can Someone Answer This Please

I just wanted to thank you for the reply and the welcome.