Can someone tell me if this was a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kimmiful

New
Reaction score
Last night I fell asleep. I was laying on my side with my arm under my pillow and head on my arm. I am pretty sure I was awake during this becausw of how I felt afterwards. I started shaking. ... my whole body. I couldnt move or even open my eyes but I feel as if I was consious because there was noises in the background that was the same as when I woke up. It only lasted a few seconds but when I did come to I was stiff and numb. I had to wiggle my fingers and toes and couldnt really move at first. Can someone tell me if this was a seizure? Thank you so much

Hi Kimmiful, welcome to CWE!

It's hard to know if what you experienced was a seizure. It might have been -- some kinds of seizures do involve partial consciousness and muscle jerks -- but it also might have been a parasomnia (a different kind of sleep disorder -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasomnia). Have you experienced anything like this before, or any other unusual sensory events? If so, make a note of the details, and consider seeing your doctor, just to be on the safe side.

If this is the first and only time this has happened, it could be a fluke event related to some unusual physical, physiological, or emotional stress (like fatigue, too much caffeine, nutritional imbalance, etc.). Do you have a sense of what might be the cause? If so, try to avoid or eliminated the particular stress, and be proactive in general about your overall health.

Best,
Nakamova

Thank yoy for your response. No, I haven't experienced this in the past, that I know of. I will definitely look out for it in the future.

Back
Top Bottom