Can this be a trigger to my seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

recall92

New
Reaction score
Ok I think I have found the trigger to my complex partials. A lot of the time I get worried and think about it happening and the seizures happen. For example, thoughts come to my mind like "Oh no its gona happen" I also get these feelings when those thoughts come and I get worried its gona happen. However, sometimes I just go about my ordinary business of life and they just occur and sometimes those worried feelings/ thoughts come and the seizure doesn't occur. Today is Thursday and I had 1 today but last complex before todays was last Thursday and I didn't worry too much about my seizures. What do you guys think? Thanx

If there are things that are going on in my life that are stressing me out I will be more apt to have a sez as to compared to the average day (which I could still have one though). If I am worried about things too I notice that I may have little ones, or big ones.

I try not to let things get me worked up, but I know that's easier said than done.

There is a great thread (that I am unable to find tonight.... I am exhausted and can't seem to pull it up), but is titled... Can You Will a Seizure to Occur (or something similar).
We discussed cyclical thoughts and such.

It was an interesting thread.
If someone else finds it I would be more than grateful.

Ok I think I have found the trigger to my complex partials. A lot of the time I get worried and think about it happening and the seizures happen. For example, thoughts come to my mind like "Oh no its gona happen"

I think you're right. Anxiety can cause stress and stress is a trigger for anyone.

Stress is right up there in the hit parade of seizure triggers...

Stress can trigger hyperventilation which can provoke seizures, especially absence seizures. It can increase cortisol, known as “the stress hormone” because cortisol is secreted in higher levels during the body’s “fight or flight” response to stress. And it’s responsible for several stress-related changes in the body which also may influence seizure activity.

Negative emotions related to stress, such as anger, worry or fright, may also cause seizures. This happens because the limbic system, the portion of the brain that regulates emotion, is one of the most common places for seizures to begin. Bottom line? You have more seizures during or after periods of anxiety or stress.

Yes. I agree with that. But I also have an alternate version. I am beginning to become convinced that one's own brain/mind can make it go away.

There might be some sort of built-in defence mechanism within yourself which prevents you from having one at times when it could be truly life threatening to you or at moments when it could have very bad consequences.

(Yeah, I do realize this sounds really flaky. But based on some experiences I have had, I am starting to think it might be the case).

Last edited:
Douglas, I agree that you can use auras as a warning sign and sometimes divert a seizure. Once you know your triggers, you can make the move to take control of your fear…distract yourself…or change your emotional state.

Like focusing on a pleasant experience and transporting your mind there. Although you may not prevent the seizure, it can be much easier to deal with just by easing the tension. Plus, you can possibly make your seizures shorter in duration and frequency.

I believe this too I have had instances where I feel like a seizure is coming on or i actually start having a seizure and I have willed myself to stop. God has a main hand in this but I know, when I call out stop (in my head) they stop more times than not. I also know I have worried myself into having one. I feel like I overload my brain with the oh no, what if, is this one, what am I gonna do, scares and that it is like a short circut that sets off the activity.

i would love to read on that one. i also get scared that its going to happen at times, sometimes i will have one and sometimes i wont. thats interesting

i read it but thats definately not me. i never want to have that feeling but when i do i am terrified

Back
Top Bottom