Can you work with epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I had three jobs before the accident and subsequent seizure diagnosis. My disability is going to run out in a few months. I don't know what I'm going to do. I can't work yet. I'm still a mess. I'm pretty stressed about it. My job is high stress, I really don't think I'll ever be able to go back. Plus this loss of independence is awful.

Many people are still able to have jobs and work with epilespy. Stress is the worst thing. LThe constant threat of having another seizure is well stressful. You need to find a way stop being stressed. Like being able to look at something hard and not getting stressed out by it. finding out you have a disorder is terrible. But You still have a few months to sort things out so my advice:

1. Reach base line : where you are when you're not having a seizure or durring a post-ictal phase (if you don't know about those you really want to do some reaserch).
2. Get everything in life in order : if you have major stressful problems in your life other than epilespy : fix them.
3. Find relaxing non stressful hobbies : I walk. I come home I put my converses on put on my head phones and just, walk. Some times I go touch the stop sign at the end of the neighborhood, sometimes I walk to the "corner store," It just makes me feel better, walking. Probably because after a seizure walking is like terrifyingly hard, so being able to walk makes me feel in control.
4. Always Remember : you're STILL you. Having epilepsy does not change the person who you are, it just gives you obsticals to over come.

Hope this helps :) Best of luck.

Stress is a demon for me. It causes much unrest in my little head ;) Unfortunately, my job by nature is stressful, life and death stuff. I'm sure it will all work out, but I'm concerned it won't work out soon enough ... lol ... before the disability runs out. I'm sure God has a plan. I was just wondering if some people are able to get long term disability for this? Not that I want to, but I am a planner and trying to research all my options, just in case I can't work. Ugh

Julie, I am currently in a low stress, non-demanding job. But it has taken many years and a lot of work to get where I'm at. I had a very stressful, physically demanding job after my injury. I tried for years to keep up but my body finally gave up. I pouted around for about a year. I went back to school. Even though school was so challenging to me I finished in the top 5 of my class. I got a job before I graduated and now I couldnt be happier. Some days I have to just put one foot in front of the other but my job is worth it. Maybe try something else. Its alot of work but its a thought.

I've had to cut my working hours drastically. Not only because of seizures but also because of side effects from my meds, especially the extreme tiredness.

I also have a very high stress job. I've been looking for the past 3 years for another one with no luck.

Here in the UK you can get disability whether you're working or not. I'm glad i qualified for some help otherwise i don't know what i'd do! Mind you, mine is due for renewal now which means i have to reapply and might not get it again.

I'm a bit stuck too. I'm struggling with the work i'm doing, yet i can't afford to quit.

I'm sure there are other people on here who have received disability because they have difficulties working, hopefully they'll come along soon.

I think stress is the biggest factor when it comes to working. A little stress can cause a lot of problems, depending on how well the seizures are controlled.

For physically intense jobs, it would be good to know if exercise is a trigger for you. For some it is, for some it's not, and whether or not exercise is a trigger can make or break a job. :(

As far as disability... I don't know... In Illinois the state is so broke that it's nearly impossible to get assistance for anything. But it's different for every state and Illinois has a notorious reputation for sucking when it comes to managing money. :p

It depend on what you do for a job and the amount of stress involved. I saw in your profile you are an RN. If you work the floor maybe that might be too stressful, but maybe you could be an administrative RN, although that has its own stress. Being patient with yourself is probably the most important thing right now.

Take care
Mary

Stress is a big problem in all peoples lives.
However put Epilepsy on top of this and you have a problem.
Unless you do something about it.

You need to be able to take 'Time out' to de-stress.
I work as a Nurse and am aware at times that I am working at a slower speed than my colleagues. However Matron is pleased with my work.
I hardly ever need time off sick, unlike the staff that rush around and allow the job to stress them out.

When I am not working I spend some of my time with my Bees.
I keep Bees as a hobby, and currently have 7 Hives.
My epilepsy doesnt stop me Beekeeping, though I have to be careful with my tremour.

Starfish is right about the walking. It gives you time to think and to appreciate the good things in life. I love walking in the rain :)

Yay, steve, I am a beekeeper too,
and I too recommend it as a stress reliever,

Julie Wishes, I have a friend that works as a call center R.N and does well working
from home.

I hope this all turns out brilliant for you and you end up with a great job
you love or extended disability, my prayers are with you.
reid

I have to work - no choice. I have 3 kids and student loans. I'm a lawyer and I have stress. My job is stressful by nature like yours. I've had to tell my employer about my epilepsy, as much as I didn't want to do so. I don't work as many hours as other people in my firm, because my seizures are very triggered by sleep deprivation. I'm presently unable to drive because I had a tonic clonic in September and I can't drive until March under state law. I think we all just do the best we can. We don't have to stop doing what we love, but we sure do have to get creative and work WITH our limitations.

Too true summerf
Its a struggle sometimes but the choices are, make the most of what we do have
or just give in and quit.
I'm no quiter.

I like the phrase 'Get creative and work with our limitations'.

Back
Top Bottom