Cannot hold onto jobs!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

leilalu1

New
Reaction score
Hi my name is leilalu1. I have temporal lobe epilepsy and have been on assorted meds for close to twenty years. I have had seizures going back to when I was in high school but I didn't realize they were seizures!

Anyway, I have had numerous jobs but I cannot hold onto them for a long period of time. I know the economy is bad and all but a lot of these jobs occurred way before the term "the economy is bad" became of common use nowadays.

Memory has gotten worse, therefore the ability to retain instructions has gone down the tubes!

I also started taking Primidone for hand tremors which have gotten worse over the years.

Just frustrated and would like to know if others have had similar situation(s).

I'm so sorry to hear about your bad experiences. It's definitely a harsh world out there with discrimination against this debilitating disability. A lot of people with epilepsy have memory problems. I often write everything down or email myself something I need to recall.
If you have a vocational rehabilitation service nearby, they may be able to help you find a job or appropriate training towards employment.
Hopefully you'll find the appropriate medications. It's a catch-22. Meds are extremely expensive, especially brand names. There are toll free phone numbers that you can call to assist you in obtaining a discount on medication.

Please check out the following link:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/when-you-cant-afford-medication-1452/

Last edited:
Thank you for your info. I know in my state they do have some type of vocational rehabilitation for people like us. Once I get accustomed to this latest med, I'll drive on down and inquire about it.

Just frustrating... I have to look at the bright side. I have a very supportive and loving husband, a wonderful bright daughter and it is springtime.
LOL our cat is going bonkers over all the birds chirping outside!

By the way, I do write everything down when learning a new job. But just a tidbit--at my last job I had a notebook that had a lot of information. Had to keep flipping through it. A close friend of mine has a way of learning new jobs. She writes things down on sticky notes. That has worked for her since it is less paper to go through plus she retains it easier.

Thanks for responding and wherever you are enjoy your weekend!

I am sorry to hear about you memory issues but as said before they are very common in Epilepsy and many other life long illnesses. I have worked with Voc Rehab here in Idaho and they have been great with my memory issues and intolerance to stress as well ass my now suspected Epilepsy and, confirmed PTSD. It is my hope that you are able to find a job you can enjoy and that also appreciates you. In Idaho a lot of employers show great respect to their disabled employees because they know how hard they work and how much their jobs mean to them. Not a high paying state though. Even disabled I have kept jobs over non disabled becuase my employer felt I was more dependable even with missing some wokr due to illness. A good boss knows who wants their job and who doesn't.

I have gone thorugh a lot of jobs having multiple disable family mebers and trying to take care of ther medical needs and still been able to get the enxt job I applied for as some past employers realized things were not always in my control and kindly dvocated for me with the new employer.

Hang in there and ask questions, I know I do and the wonderful people here graciously try give me answers.

John

Last edited:
cannot hold onto jobs!!

Thank you so much for both replying. I do feel a certain stigma with having epilepsy and going down to voc. rehabilitation. I know it is silly but yet I can't get over it.

I also switch subjects back and forth! Haha. Anyone else do that? Even my husband says "what are you talking about now?"

I am so thankful that I came across this forum. Nice to know there are others out there like myself.

Back
Top Bottom