Can't deal with Husband's Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Maryann,
My neuro has had to let my insurance company know why my Clonazepam is medically necessary when they increased it.
I have to go through this all the time.There's know way me.my husband could afford my meds or his he takes 1 epilepsy med himself.
Belinda

Last edited:
Hi Belinda

Clonazepam is one medicine I have to have. They have cut back 2 mg about a year ago. That is starting to work. However, the 4 mg I am still on, my neurologist will override the insurance company, if need be. Ask your neurologist to override your insurance company, he/she can do it.

This is medicaid were talking about and my doctor has tried.
medicaid only pay for so many a month 26 day supply so we immediately get it refilled that day.
He was paying for th extra 30 out of his own pocket, so I was able to build up my supply some.
I call my neuro's office for preapproval the 20th of this month take car of that.
Belinda

Hi Belinda

I have been on medicaid before. I know what it is like, horrible. I live in CA so we get MediCal. We got a little bit more money, but not much.

Right now, we have insurance from my husband's retirement. That pays for our medical. At the first of January, my doctor's made visits with me, to see my new insurance cards.They wanted to see if there were any changes. I am glad to say there were not. The fact that the doctor's thought there might be a change worries me a little bit. I try not to let it get to me. Stress is not good for us. If we can everything with a grain of salt, we would have fewer seizures.

coping with my husbands E

Thank you all for your support on my meds. I figured out that on my own i would end up with about one hundred dollars to live on. Thanks again.
Maryann

Can't Deal With Husband's Epilepsy

Hello Kirsty
My Name Is Leah & I Need To say this Just stick close to your Husband and make sure he does not develop a allergy to his medicine( I'm allergic to ALL seizure medicine & facing surgery but not the VNS surgery though ) Take Care

P.S I can only take 3 meds for my seizures Lyrica,Ativan,Zonegram
:ponder:

Hi Leah
My husband stays close to me. He makes sure I am okay. He is my caregiver because I have had status epilepticus 2 times. What surgery are you going to have?

4 meds is the most recommended for E. I have to take clonazapam, Keppra, Neurotin, Lamictal and mysoline. The fewer meds you have to take, the better.

Hello Kirsty,

My name is Shonni also known as CHEROKEE09, I do know how you feel because I feel the same way, only I have the seizures and when my seizures were out of control my husband and I were not doing good financially, and my meds were and still are expensive
Now that my seizures are so under control, that I have not had one going on 10 years, There are Groups out there things like this. if you want to talk to them in person,
if you stay calm and relaxed around him, he will stay calm and relaxed you husband is possibly feeling your stress and worries, Talk to your doctor to find out should go.
I will look up the websites and send them to you.
CHEROKEE09

Kirsty,
I know it's hard, frustrating and a million other things. I have E and feel so bad when i have an episode and my family or friends end up having to help me. Just find something that gives you some sanity. Most important, FIND A DOCTOR YOU LIKE!!!! You're not buying a car or a house. Make the doc earn the money he/she charges!!! No execptions allowed!!

Hi Kristy,
Welcome to this wonderful site. I understand your frustrations. Things will get better. Don't forget to take time for you to unwind. Enjoy the resourses here. Take Care:shake:

Snorider27

I agree with you 100% I also have Epilepsy and have had it for 45 years
10 years ago before I was able to them under control my mom would
cry.
I have gone 10 years on july 17th without any seizures.:clap:

Hi snorider,

Welcome to our forum. You will have lots of friends and learn a lot about your epilepsy and others.

My husband and son are my caregivers. I do not mind because they do not order me around. They let me have my freedom. Like going for walks, by myself.

Hi ,
It's Leah with an update I stopped the Ativan.but I'm still having the surgery done (To Feast who asked what kind of surgery it has to do with my cerebral palsy and nerves in my body (that's why I'm allergic to everything on the market)

Hi Leah,
When are having the surgery?
My Family and I will be thinking of you and praying for you.

Please take care,
Shonni

Hi Leah,

Have you thought of alternative treatments first? That is tough being allergic to everything.

You have my support. I care for you.
Ruth

OK I just got my Med finally back to Brand ones. I had foind out after being off Lamictal to the genric, i started to have more seizure then usual. So neuro sent paper to pharmacy stateing i had to be on brand lamictal. After a week of Goverment decsions we finally got ok to have brand. Know we tryed to change me from Keppra to Keppra xr but goverment denied it, so he signed paper saying i needed brand keppra for my seizures, so goverment ok that, but mg was less. The mg on my orginal was 1000mg twice a day, the one the goverment ok was keppra 500mg. So i called doctor and asked him to write me out new scripte with new amout of pills ( so i am still taking 2000mg in a day of keppra) just know 4 pills a day instead of two. All this cause of genric drug. My body just could not handle genric drugs. in the last 2 and half months i havd had 10 seizures ( much to much) consdering i was down to one to two seizures a month.
I understand Goverment wants to save money, but our lives our very ompotant also.

I've Tried Everything I could. my Doctor where I live never caught on (one even put me back in the hospital after I told her I was allergic to the drug she gave it to me anyway) Nobody believes me Isn't that something not even professionals (I can't feel pain on my left side due to the C.P too) I'm Told in about a month I'm going to have the surgery I still have one more MRI on my leg and a appointment with the surgeon who is going to do the surgery

Last edited:
Hi, I would get a second opinion from another doctor. About everything, including the surgery. Get better and keep us posted.

I've Been to Every Doctor around where I live , not even dentists believe me (they have a field day going in and out of my mouth and scaring me half to death )I even had more second opinions from more doctors than I can count

Hi Lea, I am sorry to hear that. Have you had a Video EEG? I believe you.

Back
Top Bottom