Can't go into most department stores now!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ChristaD

New
Reaction score
Hi! Is there anyone who can not into certain department stores anymore because the lights will give them seizures? I get sooo nauseous and dizzy when I go into some stores I get migraines that are so bad I have to go to the ER. Then I will eventually have either a nocturnal seizure or a complex partial at the store before I get out of the store. They are to be getting worse! They just started in the past five months. My neurologist just says my seizures are just changing. That's just hard to believe!

If you have this problem, what have you done to help stop them? Or do you just avoid the store? I have read about different colored grasses. Do they work?

Thanks!

Hi i have a similar problem - the light make my eyesight go funny like someone has been shining a light into my eyes and my tummy starts to feel funny, just like the feeling i get before my memory goes and i start wandering around doing strange things with my hands and mouth. One thing I've found helps is wearing sunglasses or not looking into the lights, like looking more at floor (only if you know ge store well lol) so less light gets into your eyes xxx

Walmart seems to be a big problem for some folks -- it's something about the fluorescent lights there and at other big box stores and malls. Sunglasses or special lenses might help. Here's one source: http://irlen.com/index.php

ChristaD,

Standard Voltage in the United States is 120v AC (that's alternating current) 60Hz which yields a fluorescent flicker of approximately 120 cycles per second (but it varies and the frequency may be inconstant if the wiring is old), if you live in the EU the standard is 230v AC that's about 120 flickers per second. Fluorescent lights work in a similar way to Neon lights (I bet you don't like those either)

IDK how handy you are but DC lighting of certain kinds has almost no flicker and you might find it comforting.

Technically people are not supposed to be able to perceive flickers occurring at higher than 50hz but some people still can and it's not understood how they do this.

High frequency florescents have been shown to cause fewer headaches eyestrain etc. But see...if you can not only see a 50Hz flicker but it also causes seizures i have a hard time swallowing the idea that noticing the flicker is the real problem. The flicker is the problem period i would think.

I can see it too for the record, even regular light bulbs seem to flicker to me and the tv set, movie theaters... it's not much fun.

other than suggesting you find a way to switch your home lighting to some DC system where not current alternation can lead to a flicker in the first place I don;t have much advice for you...I'll keep thinking about it maybe something will come to me.

EDIT:
I just read a pretty infuriating article on Scientific American titled "Flickering Fallacy". where they claim that the whole issue is overblown and people can't perceive it etc etc. they are saying " modern, electronically ballasted CFLs refresh themselves at between 10,000 and 40,000 cycles per second, rates too fast for the human eye or brain to detect."

but i am staring at one of these bulbs RIGHT NOW and it's damn well flickering and it IS irritating. On top of that the light quality is far from full spectrum and it effects my color perception which is completely unacceptable for painting.

Just thought i would add that.

Last edited:
The mall is worst for me, going through multiple smells and lighting is too much for me.
I became an online shopper primarily for Christmas ect.
When I have to grocery shop I go late at night and wear dark sunglasses. This seems to help me. But avoidance is really best for me.
Welcome to coping with epilepsy, were glad your here.

Back
Top Bottom