carbamazapine

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi, My daughter has been taking carbamazapine, retard (brand name tegretol) for around 6 weeks, she has been suffering from dizziness and headaches. Last night she was so dizzy that she got out of bed and collapsed, she then had migrane -like symptoms.
Does anyone know if this medication causes these side effects?
I am loathe to thinking about changing it as her seizures have stopped since she started taking these meds?

All meds can have those side effects. including cold medicines or ear drops. usually this is just something that will show up and pass if not taken properly (too much, too little. too close together, without food or milk etc)

I would contact the neuro though just to make sure that these symptoms are not something to worry about with this particular med. especially if this has gone on for some time.

hopefully things get straightened out for you two. She must be feeling terrible. cuddles and hot chocolate always worked for me.

Hi Lesley, I stopped taking Tegretol a few years back because the headaches/migranes became unbearable. There are lots of options out there when it come to meds, sometimes its a game of mix and match til you find the right one.
Cat

Definitely talk to the neurologist -- sometimes side effects wane once the body gets used to the med, but if they're not going away, then she need another med that won't affect quality of life so painfully.

i have been taking tegratol now for over 20 yrs and ive been getting on fine with it until recently when my consultant decided that in 10 months i have to come off it this is what i think will be the pain in my life
Graham

Back
Top Bottom