Carbamazepine - Working in extreme heat

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ZPhillips

New
Reaction score
Hi,

My partner currently take 300g of carbamazepine in the morning and another in the evening. He has just started a new job where he will be working in hot conditions of 50 degrees. He has been told that he will have to drink a litre of water per hour. His shift work is 12 hours each day. He is concerned that this may flush the carbamazepine out of his system. Is there any proof in this happening. Plus he is considering taking a further 100g as a precaution. Can someone please best advise?

Many thanks

Zoe

Hi Zoe --

I recommend that your partner to talk to his neurologist about the constraints of the job. He definitely shouldn't change his dose without discussing it with the doctor first. The doc will have a better sense of his metabolism and that of the medication. The water consumption shouldn't flush the medication out of his system, but it may depend on variety of factors including general health issues, and whether or not he's on the extended-release version of carbamazepine. FYI: Carbamazepine increases sun sensitivity, so your partner should be careful if he's working outside.

Hi

Thank you for your response. We are aware that the sun is a factor but he is working in a mine so he will be underground. I have told him not to increase his dosage and to consult his neurologist which I will make him do. I didn't think he would need to increase his dosage. Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom