Changing a doc

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

137Alice

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi, everybody
After my GM seizures i stayed for 15 years on Epilim Chrono and Keppra. It was not perfect but at least liveable. But now my old doc is selling his surgery to a new one. I was immediately given more Keppra in the morning (1000 mg instead of 750) and was told to take less Epilim. Later she wants to increase Keppra to 1000 in the evening too. My old doc always said to ignore how much this or that med is in the blood because it is different for everybody and to see how u feel. She thinks it is wrong and even called me to stop Epilin since there is too much in the blood.
Anyhow after a few days i was OK and hopeful. In a week i became absolutely not right. Some of u have same problems and sometimes even much severe ones ( i just stop speaking or understanding or reading for just a minute or two). My doc thinks it is a sort of an undeveloped seizure. Actually he was not bad, he tried all the meds on me. And as i reacted bad on most of them we always returned to the usual ones.
Anyhow for the last two days (i take my new dose for two weeks) it became really bad. If u can't talk for a few secs just a a two-three times a day u can survive but if it just doesn't stop...
My old doc will still be giving some consultations. Perhaps i just go back?
So i would extremely to everybody for your thoughts.
Take care and have a nice weekend
P.S. Do i need friends!!!!!!
Alice

My old doc always said to ignore how much this or that med is in the blood because it is different for everybody and to see how u feel.
This is absolutely true. The target blood serum level for a given med is useful, but it's a recommendation not a rule. Individuals may have successful seizure control both below and above that level. I've always registered "subtherapeutic" blood serum amounts of my meds, but that has been enough to control my seizures.

Unless the new doc is willing to treat you based on what you are actually experiencing -- not what she thinks you should be feeling -- I think you should go back to the old neuro. A good, responsive experienced neurologist can make a huge difference in your care.

A new doc

Thanks a lot
In a few days i have another app with this new neuro but before will be talking to my GP (she is also a good friend and knows me for quite a long time). The main problem is i am not sure for how long u should be trying something new even if it makes feel so bad. Perhaps in the long run it will turn out OK?And u just have to wait? But those two days were really a hell. Today i just went to my normal doses and at least for the moment it looks more or less OK.

Generally 2 weeks to a month at a stable dose should be long enough to get a sense of how well a med is working in terms of both seizure control and side effects. It does vary from person to person though, and everyone has a different tolerance level for side effects.

It sucks that brain meds can make you feel so lousy so quickly. :(
I can't wait for the scientists find a better way to treat seizures.

every one has different issues with medication, I can only say that I have had bad side effects on Keppra and that it is a medication I am in the process of decreasing and being removed from because of the bad side effects. In your situation, I would give the medication some time to work and if it doesn't seem as though it works mention this to your neurologist then take the next step. A person who can help you with side effects is your local pharmacist as they are aware of how medications react and what to pay attention to when taking them. I speak with my pharmacist frequently when I have questions about medication and if there is anything I need to be aware of when taking a higher dosage or new medication. I hope that all goes well and in your favor.
Regards,
Suebear

Back
Top Bottom