Changing dose of Keppra causing space outs?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Arc2012

New
Reaction score
I'm wondering how long it usually takes for a change of dosage to kick in with Keppra. I was on 2000mg BID and the neuro added Lamictal. I started having a lot of emotional/mental issues and the dr thinks it might be the side effects of Keppra so he is weaning me off. I'm am decreasing my keppra dose by half a pill BID every week while increasing my lamictal 25mg BID every week. I felt great the first two weeks but this week (I'm down to 1000mg BID of Keppra) I have started having space out episodes, confusion, eyeballs bouncing around and a lot of ringing in my ears. In the past when this has happened they have always increased my Keppra. My question is which dose do you think is causing me to have episodes again, the dose I'm taking this week or could it be catching up with my lowered dose from the beginning? I know this is kind of confusing but any help with this would be appreciated. I could call my neuro but I begged him to do this and I'd like to hear others opinion before I hear a big "I told you so" from the dr.

Generally I've found that whenever there's a brain med transition going on (up, down, one med, two meds, whatever), side effects show up. It's not until I've been at a stable dose for at least a few weeks that things start to even out.

That said, it could also be that the Lamictal is disagreeing with you. It has a reputation for having the fewest cognitive side effects, but meds hit everyone differently. Unfortunately, "wait and see" is really the only way to find out. Make a note of everything you are experiencing, and if stuff gets progressively worse and/or doesn't settle down once, let your neuro know.

Hang in there! I'm nearly 4 years seizure-free on Lamictal, hope the same happens for you.

Thanks for your input Nakamova. I think the waiting game is one of the hardest part of dealing with this. Just wait, see if something happens. In the meantime, I just anticipate it. Dealing with uncertainty is not one of my best qualities but I guess I best get used to it :)

Hi , when I was first diagnosed I took lamictal and it did make me horrible , as did most of all the meds i took .. I eventually decided to stop taking everything all together and grew out of it luckily .. but definitely keep track daily of whats happening and how you feel

Back
Top Bottom