check this out. aura or anxiety?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

thank you so much guys... i will continue to chat, i like this.
i had never heard the word kindle... :ponder: sometimes the people
on here are better then docs when it comes time to talk. i know they
don't have that kind of time. so i'm new to this, you can send private messages also? meaning to a specific person i guess rather then anyone who wants to read. how is this done?

Hi Shawnalb --

Sorry to be so confusing about estrogen. It's the fluctuations in hormones (including estrogen) and the balance between different hormones that can affect seizure threshold. In menopause, the overall levels of estrogen drop, so for some women this means their seizures go away or become less frequent. It's not an exact science however (to say the least!). For some, their are other factors affecting seizure threshold as well, so menopause doesn't necessarily bring relief.

One reason to try and cut down on your seizures, even if they seem minor, is that the brain can "get in the habit " of seizing. It's a bit like traveling down a small footpath in a forest: the first time you seize, the brain takes that almost hidden path as an unexpected detour. The more you seize, the bigger and more worn-in the path becomes -- it goes from being a little footpath, to being a hiking trail, then a road, then a boulevard, then a 4-lane highway -- in other words, your brain starts to seize more often because that seizure path has become the easiest route for it to travel. If you can avoid seizures, through medication or other treatment approaches, then that highway can become disused, grown over, abandoned, and hopefully never-travelled down again!

If you can figure out what's triggering your seizures, that's great. Diet, exercise, sleep, etc. are all good places to start. It can take awhile before your body adjusts to any change, so be patient. And keep asking questions!

Best,
Nakamova

And I apologize -- sometimes if were all posting at the same time, the messages can overlap or be a bit overwhelming.
Best,
Nakamova

Private Messages

You may see already under your name something saying that you have "Private messages: Unread, 0, Total xxx" That Private Messages right there is a link to your in & out box.

To create a PM, scroll down to your left, look for "Send a new message" click on it. It will bring up a new screen. It will end up looking something like this when you're done:

to: Nakamova:

subject: thank you

for being patient while I babbled the other day. I had such a migraine, I don't quite know what I was talking about. Did I make any sense at all? I'm afraid to look and see what I typed......

Take care, and make a great day,

Meetz
:rock:

Then, simply hit submit reply, and off it goes!

Estrogen excites the brain
Progesterone calms the brain.
There are foods that are estrogen rich, and an increase in insulin where the liver is not able to process it, can also increase estrogen levels.
Kindling to me means the brain learns how to seize. It is a way the brain uses to release its stressors. It is important to stabalize the brain and we did that with my daughter with neurofeedback.

We all have a seizure threshold. Raising the threshold is important. Many are prescribed medications to do this, but the problem is that the cause is still there. The problem is that the cause over time, can increase, can possibly create more problems and the medication that once worked, can't any longer. So they try another, that can cause more problems, and then they add two together, which no one really knows how this will affect your individual system. They keep experimenting, but they don't really know what the orginal cause is. If you get a kind neurologist they will say, "We don't know." So a bandaid is tried. But eventually the bandaid needs to be changed.

I removed my daughter from the conventional medical route, and tried alternatives. I monitored and charted what was going on. Hypoglycemia plays a role in my daughter seizures, and this affected her hormonally. Hers happened between 10 am and 1 pm most often. After realizing that blood sugar played a role, and after a year, convincing the doctor of this, we are seeing incredible results. She luckily is convinced now.

Back
Top Bottom