concussion

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

eem

New
Reaction score
Hi,

This past weekend I was in the hospital after having what turned out to be 3 or 4 seizures in a short time. THis came out of no where. I did have multiple sport related concussions a decade or more ago. COuld this be the reason?

Also, the keppra is exhausting me. Is this normal? How long till I get used to it?

Thanks,
Erin

Hi Erin, welcome to CWE!

Over half of epilepsy cases are considered to be "of unknown origin". Often there are primary triggers (like a head injury) and secondary triggers (like fatigue or low blood sugar), but it can be tough to know for sure. I had a bad concussion when I was 5, but didn't have my first seizures until I was 35. The thought is that there may have been scarring from the concussion that left me with a lowered seizure threshold, but that it took a particular set of triggers 30 years later to push me over that threshold. Unfortunately there's no way to know for sure.

In your case, the concussions could have lowered your seizure threshold and left you vulnerable. Were there any other secondary factors that you can think of that may have played a role in your recent seizures? Were you unusually tired or stressed in one way or another? Have you had any unusual episodes/symptoms in your past? Migraines? Food sensitivities?

The fatigue you are experiencing may be in part from the seizures themselves -- they are physically and mentally draining -- but the Keppra may also be playing a role. It can take a while for the body to adjust to the brain meds, so I suggest you give it a few weeks. If the side effects continue to be problematic, talk to your neurologist about either lowering the dose or trying a different medication. Keppra is also known for causing anger and depression, so if you feel unusually moody and cranky, the Keppra may be the cause. Some folks have found that taking a B6 supplement helps with this particular side effect, something to keep in mind.

Best,
Nakamova

Thank you

Nakamova,

Thank you for all of your insight. It is nice to hear it. I am sure I will have more questions as I get used to this.

Thanks again,
Erin

Back
Top Bottom