Could i have epilepsy during sleep?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sometimes a sensation of fear or anxiety is a kind of epilepsy aura. But it could also be a psychological response to not being able to breathe properly.

Wow!!!

Wow!!!

I know, that sleep paralisys can be so bad. Sometimes I get it and at the end I get the hard electric shock that puts an end to the dream and wakes me up jumping.

Did that go away with treatment/drugs?

I hope so. I hope you´re better off from that now.

Do sleeping pills or antidepressants help sleep seizures? I take klonopin sometimes and it helps I think.

John.

I am not on anything yet. :( Was waiting on seeing a neuro but do not have the $275 cash they demand up front. :(

Donot know what is going to happen now.

YES! I wake up scared poop-less to that feeling of falling! sometiimes a few times in a row. but im sure most people have that.

and moonchild-sounds like your describing sleep paralysis. This is where your brain wakes up before your body.

The blue light is your eyes not dialating, the crush weight is your body controlling your breathing sub consciously and your conscious mind trying to fight it.
you are unable to move because your body stops all movement for sleep to help prevent injury from jerking or twitching. Some peoples "paralysis clock" is impaired or broken and this happens frequently to them.

Some people also associate this with a feeling of fear and panic for not being able to move and either try to link it to ghosts, aliens or other paranormal activity. This is normal.

Sleep Paralysis and E

WOW, I'm floored by all these posts and what I've learned. I now have a couple questions.

Is Sleep Paralysis (Moonchild and Rae thanks for describing it) the same as E? At 17 I had the sleep paralysis for about 5 years (called them demonic nightmares since it was as if demons were holding me down, obviously I know better now) and wasn't diagnosed with E until 30 (first TC).

I started having auras at 27 during the day but doc. said sounds like anxiety.

Now I have nocturnal seizures after RTL and all my TC's were in my sleep with a bunch of absent during the day.

So, I guess my question is perhaps I have E because of a sleep problem? Never did a sleep study. My clock I know is way off since I've always been a night person and no matter how little sleep I get I can't seem to get to bed before the am hours (between 1am-4am) it varies and most times I'm not even tired but just go to sleep because I have to get some sleep. I always use to joke that I'm "nocturnal" and I wake up when the sun goes down and could sleep all day, if I were allowed.

I'm just beginning to think (after keeping a log for the past 2 weeks or so, thanks for the idea) that my problem is my internal clock in regards to sleep. It's been like this as long as I can remember and I can't seem to be a "morning person". Regardless of whether I have to get up in the am hours I still won't get to bed before 1am. My log already shows for sleep that I go to bed in the am and wake in the am. Some days I can get more sleep but I'm beginning to wonder if the E stems from my clock not waking with the sun and slowing down when it starts to get dark. This happens even if I only had 4 hrs. sleep or even no sleep the night before. I don't know, but the sleep paralysis got me thinking regardless that I haven't had that in years. Is it the same as having an episode or something totally different? I know lack of sleep is a trigger, but I'm wondering if the internal clock (the hours your body wakes and sleeps) could be the underlying factor. Sorry so long. Thanks

I get sleep paraylsis often. and for the last while (since those 5 things i could think of that might have triggered E) i feel as tho i am getting no sleep at all. Im not sure if this is my internal clock being messd up before or after *i have always loved napping and sleeping but now im not rested when i do* those incidences. but im also not sure if i have fits while sleeping *is it possible to have absence seizures while sleeping?* or if it has to do with that internal clock.

[What´s an epilepsy aura?...]

An aura is a sensory disruption brought on when the brain starts to misfire. Migraine sufferers often get them before they have a migraine headache. Some people with epilepsy get auras before a seizure, or as the seizure itself. An aura can take many forms . Sometimes it relates to the part of the brain where it originates. Here are some types of auras:

Vision: Bright lights, shimmering, pulsating patches, tunnel vision, blind spots
Hearing: Hearing voices or sounds that do not exist, hearing modulated sounds -- buzzing, tremolo, louder, softer, etc.
Strange smells
Sensations of numbness or tingling on one side of the face or body.
Out of body sensations
Anxiety or fear
Nausea
Weakness, unsteadiness
Drooling
Being unable to understand or comprehend spoken words
Being unable to speak properly

Auras can last from several seconds to several minutes and can sometimes end with feeling very tired or weak, sweaty, overheated, etc.

Lol.. I get the lights and hear chimes and smell things burning and my head hurts like hell! :(

i get a metalic taste in my mouth and ringing in my ears.

These both can be due to magnesium deficiency. I am sure there are other causes as well, but supplementation is easy to see if it helps the symptoms. Magnesium is also know as an anti-convulsant.

Auras are also the weird Deja Vus. Mine was nothing more than seeing something "visual" (no lights or anything out of the ordinary) but a mere picture (could be a guy mowing his lawn) that would bring me back to childhood. Oliver Sachs has a particular name for it that I can't think of, but he does state "a transport back to early childhood" hence, "deja vu". Apparently the aura itself is a little seizure, but I'm not sure which kind. Maybe Simple Partial?

Stupid question

Ok, so like i´ve said before, i´m ignorant on epilepsy, totally new.

So i have a question.

Do electromagnetic fields affect people with epilepsy? Can this make them have seizures or sleep seizures?

I live in a neighbourhood known to have this stuff and i´ve been meaning to make arrengements for this for a while. Does it matter with epilepsy?

Just courious...

John.

"Do electromagnetic fields affect people with epilepsy? Can this make them have seizures or sleep seizures?"

I live liek a block away from a power field so i am curious to this answer...

KelVarQ

KelVarQ:

Wow your sleep symptoms sound a lot like mine. Those images you see in your sleep or even awake when sleepy. I also have messed up circadian rythms. You seem to have suffered with sleep a great deal too. Would you be interested in keeping in touch?

John.

Just wanted to add, regarding the electromagnetic stuff this article about cellphones:

Extended Cell Phone Use Excites Brain

Italian researchers have reported that radiation from cell phones can have an effect on the brain's cortex when a phone is used for an extended period of time. The study monitored young men who used the phones for 45 minutes at a time and found that this continued use elevated the brain's electrical activity in the cortex, which is responsible for many high level functions.

The study did not conclude that cell phones are bad for people, but researchers did recommend further study of intense daily use of cell phones, particularly of people with epilepsy and other neurological conditions.

Back
Top Bottom