Could i have epilepsy during sleep?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I was first diagnosed with sleep apnea, then about a year later diagnosed with complex partial. My wife first said I would wake her up in the night with what she thought were seizures in my sleep. Had sleep study's and then put on a cpap. In April I had two seizures within a week that were in the evening before I went to bed.

I don't know if one causes the other one. What I do know is that sleep apnea will cause loss of oxygen to the brain which can cause seizures. That is a first that I've heard of seizures causing you to have sleep apnea. I'm still learning a lot and trying to figure out these things happening to me. Anyway, I've had quite a few times before I started using a cpap that I would wake up gasping for air and I would have other times where I would wake up feeling like I was going to die. A lot of waking up falling too. Nice to hear I'm not the only one that has those.

The third part to my experiences with all of this, is that while all of this is happening I was already on a thereputal level of medication for anxiety that is also used for epilepsy.

Last edited:
Moonchild

I get that too! I was wondering why the heck I was flashing back like that so often!!

Yes, I had that for years before being dianosed and use to wonder, "What is that? Do I have some forgotten childhood memory trying to break through?" I thought all kinds of weird stuff. They didn't bother me too much, except drain me a bit and I guess I was losing consciousness for about 10-15 seconds or so after. Not a lot of time to realize you just lost time. I use to call them "Emotional Deja Vus" because I had no clue what they were and they weren't your "fun" normal deja vus. Wow, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one that had those! Those were my auras and unfortunately they stopped along time ago since they became my warning for the TC's I use to get.

Ya know it is amazing all the signs/things that we can have happen or experience and never even question it, just because it is either not painful, or our Dr.'s tell us don't worry-it's nothing. I've been going through so much of this stuff since 1997!!

Negative result?

I iniciated this forum, i hope anyone reads this thread...

So, I just picked up the result from the EEG with sleep deprivation.

It said a lot of weird stuff to me and I wont see my doctor until about a month.

So the last line of the report, the one with the diagnosis i think, says:

Path of awakeness and sleep that reaches normal stage II.

What is this? Is it a negative result? Should I also post the other stuff too?

Thanks for any help.

John.

Hi John --

Feel free to post what the report said, I'll give a shot at interpreting it. But it's really best done by your doctor who will have all the pieces to look at.

did they do a EEG with your sleep apena tests? they usually do an 8 lead for non sz pt's. They did a full 32 lead on me. I woke up hearing the stuff laughing at my EEG LOL

No, no sleep apnea. Just the eeg with sleep deprivation. It turns out it was negative. I just saw my sleep doctor yesterday. But he wants to make sure and wants me to see a neurologist and also wants me to take an image of my head.

Because i jump in my sleep, i recorded myself and i´m going to show him that to see if he can find out something.

He says he´s gonna run a sleep study on me at the same time with a ph metry test. I also have acid reflux. Lot´s of stuff i guess.

John.

Back
Top Bottom