CVI Cortical Vision Impairment

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Crystal11

New
Reaction score
I have had cortical vision impaired for a while now. I was born three months early and always had vision and hearing impairment forever. As I get older it gets worse. My hearing loss is now 90% gone and I use Ultra-Power Hearing aids by Phonak which is the best company in the world- also expensive! About $2000.00 each.
Anyway I had a specialized test that basically was an EEG along with computer and visual testing at the same time. It showed that my vision functioned as if I were totally blind. With severe eye conditions, my brain cannot process what I see very well. I'm not totally blind- but my vision goes to hell at night and in bad weather or dark environments such as cloudy days.

I found out that with CVI/Cortical Vision Impairment my brain cannot process visual information well and it can sometimes make things appear that aren't there. Just the other day I thought I saw a little girl and was talking and said hello and how are you- just for me to find out it was a trashcan! LOL HAHAHA
I use my guide dog Umbro and sometimes use a cane if he is sick.

I found out that the number one neurological condition that goes with CVI is Epilepsy! I could not believe it at all..
I have always had Epilepsy my whole life- just mild when I was little. They were more like Absence seizures but neuro tells me that they were complex partial seizures the whole time.
So anyway, it was interesting to find this information out after so many years of not knowing much about CVI.
My twin sister also has CVI, visual and hearing impairment and complex partial seizures- so we also sometimes don't know what's abnormal since we both have the same things, just different degrees of it.

Does anyone else have CVI and Epilepsy here?
Kids normally are diagnosed at early age- so do anyone else have a child with CVI?
Just curious.

Thanks guys, take care
Crystal

Back
Top Bottom