Daughter diagnosed yesterday

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dajmom

New
Reaction score
I woke up this morning as "Mom of an epileptic"...my 14 year old daughter was diagnosed yesterday. She had grand mal seizures on July 15, July 23 and August 12...she has been taking Depakote since August 13th. The doctor told us her EEG showed "pronounced seizure activity" at 3 mHz. Her medication is controlling them, but she does experience seizure auras. I don't know that her dad and I are feeling overwhelmed...I just really feel like I want to be a sponge and soak up as much info as I can to help her cope. I have never seen her more happy than she was last night. I think she feels such a sense of relief that she has a diagnosis! I am anxious to begin reading through these forums and getting to know each of you.

Welcome to CWE!

I can only imagine what youre going through right now. Im a mom of three little boys, but Ive had epilepsy my whole life. My mom and dad went through alot when they found out I had Epilepsy at the age of 18 months old. I was having small seizures prior to being dx'd but didnt have a grand mal til I was 18 months old. If you have any questions about Epilepsy, please ask away! Were all here for you! :)

Hi there! I am new to the forum as well but we have had our diagnosis for three years now. it can be very overwhelming at first for sure. my daughter was diagnosed at 13 months old. If you have any questions or anything feel free to message me or if you just wanna vent lol...I did a lot of that at first also :)

best of luck!

We do not have a primary cause. The first day she had one was the morning after staying out all night to see the midnight showing of Harry Potter Seven Part Two...if you have seen it, you know the wand lighting is pretty intense...very strobe-like. So there was that and a lack of sleep from three giggly girls staying up all night. The second time we were at a pool party. We live in Texas and set a record in our area for the most 100+ days this summer...most since 1980. So we have really been dealing with the heat. The third time she had been out with her dad all day - again in the heat - in and out of the car running errands. Her MRI was normal...I joke as normal as an MRI can be in a teenage girl.

We are really seeing what Depakote can do to her moods. Does anyone with older kids have their kids in group therapy or with a support group? We live in a very small town and everyone takes such good care of her and looks out for her...her teachers are awesome and many are very close friends of ours. Her friends are also great.

Back
Top Bottom