Daunting changes ahead

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a 28 year old female in the latter stages of completing my teacher training course. I was diagnosed with epilepsy at age 11 and it has, more or less, been controlled into adulthood with Sodium Valproate. However, when I moved to Adult Outpatients I've 'slipped through the net' and have not received any support/reviews, due to my epilepsy being controlled, this has not been a problem. Consequently, I have missed out on vital information regarding pregnancy.

My GP randomly picked up on this and I have just found out about the high risks that are associated with Sodium Valproate and pregnancy. I am due to start a transition to Lamotrogine and, quite frankly, feel scared and isolated at the effect this could potentially have on my life. The increased risk of seizures throughout the transition, the risks associated with pregnancy and coming off Sodium Valproate (a known mood stabiliser) when every female in my family suffers from severe mental health issues is a great concern.

This is the first time I've asked for support with epilepsy and I would be grateful to hear of anyone's experiences and how you've tackled the issue. I am increasingly concerned about pregnancy as this was to be the next stage in my life, something which is now currently under review.

Thank you.

Wishing you luck Leanne, contraception and pregnancy are just one more thing for females with epilepsy to deal with. I hope the transition goes well - and remember lamotrigine is used as a mood stabiliser too x

Thanks for your support, Jane. I'm new to using forums so it's good to know there's support out there. I didn't know that Lamotrigine was also a mood stabiliser so that's one good thing to come out of this! :)

Hi Leanne,

I've had epilepsy for well over 30 years and now have two grown, healthy children. When I was pregnant, I took Dilantin. After my 2nd child was born, tho, I not only had CP's but they went into generalized TC's. We've tried many different AED's. I've also had bouts with depression as mental health is an issue in my family, too.

As Jane said, Lamotrigine (lamictal) is one of many AED's that are used as mood stabilizers, also. Others are Tegretol, Topomax, Trileptal, Zonisamide, Neurontin.

Here is more helpful information on pregnancy and epilepsy:
http://www.epilepsy.com/info/epilepsy_pregnancy

And info on moods and Epilepsy:
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/moods_behavior

When I had my youngest son, they had to take me off my meds entirely. I was terrified what that meant for my baby. I had several seizures during my pregnancy. When the time came, I have birth to a healthy, happy baby boy. Stay strong. It is definitely scary, but it is not hopeless. I did find that after the birth of each of my boys, my did get worse. Just be aware that that is a possibility hon. Talk to your neurologist openly and honestly about your concerns. Also, let your OB know what your concerns are. They may have helpful suggestions.

Thank you so much for your responses. Although I've lived with epilepsy for 17 years, this is the first time that I've not felt in control, hence, seeking support via forums. I'm overwhelmed at how much information and support is out there. You've given an isolated girl some hope :)

I too am isolated. I was just diagnosed almost 7 years ago, and just recently accepted that the doctor is right. It looks like this forum has a lot of wonderful and helpful people. I have a feeling we will both stop feeling so isolated soon. :)

I'm finding that access to correct information and advice is empowering :) hopefully it'll work for you, too.

hang in there Leanne! So much has changed as far as drugs and treatment for Epilepsy, and it continues to change every day. Find yourself a good Epileptologist when you are ready to take the step to motherhood. There are a lot of people just waiting to help you :)

Back
Top Bottom