Developed epilepsy after kidney surgery, taking Keppra and using neurofeedback

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

julius

New
Reaction score
I am a new member to the group. I have an interesting hhealth history in that this June 7th will be the 42nd anniversary of my brother donating me one of his kidneys. Back in those days , transplants were strictly research not yet FDA approved and could only be performed as a last ditch effort when th patient was going to die anyway.. due to the extremely high blood preassure before the transplant , I have had a couple of heart attacks , a stroke and consequently epilepsy in recent years. Ihave been on numerous medications for seizures that seem to work for a while and then lose their effectiveness. I am currently using just Keppra as a monotherapy ., but am also trying neurofeedback. I started off with a Neurobit machine that is manufactured in Poland , but that did not quite fill the billl. I am currently using a machine named Atlantis ll manufactured by Brainmaster technologies right here in the USA under the auspices of Dr David Drapes of Milwaukee .The jury is still out , but I am excited about the prospects.
I have always been very proactive in my own healthcare . I look forward to learning all you people can teach me and I hope that I will be able to also contribute to the group.

Hi Julius - Welcome to the Forum
Thank you for sharing your story. You have had quite a journey so far.
My daughter is doing neurofeedback for her seizures. We have seen an incredible change in her seizure pattern, as well as positive changes in her daily life. I will be trained soon, so that we can do the therapy at home. I will be renting the equipment, month by month.

I hope we can stay in touch as we move forward with this.
I should say that I don't have seizures, my daughter does.

Hi Julius, welcome to the forum. :hello:

I split off your post from the Neurofeedback thread so more members would be able to greet you (without pulling that thread off topic).

The Brainmaster/Atlantis system is a pretty good one. How long (or how many sessions) have you been doing it?

Thanks to Bernard and Robin for their welcome. I am still finding my way around this site ,so pleases cut me a little slack if I do not follow the format correctly at at the beginning . I think that I almost unsubscribed a moment ago and i can assure you that that is the last thing I want to do. I have had a total of fifty -six sessions on the Brainmaster. Seven in his office at the start and forty-nine since i have purchased my own machine. I visit him in his office once a month(today was the day) and bring my laptop. We go over the results of my every other day twenty minute home sessions. I have not totally eliminated the seizures, but feel that I am making progress. I feel that it is helping to reshape my personality for the beter. In the past, I was a hard driving businessman and would make my friends laugh by telling them that I was going to become a type B personality . With this machine however, it seemsto be happening on its own. i just take things easier now
Julius

It's good to hear that you are seeing some results. Best I can tell from reading studies that were done on it, it seems like people respond to it faster when they are young. My wife is currently using a Brainmaster/Atlantis system right now too and (knock on wood) hasn't had a seizure in a long while. I'm hopeful that it's kicking in now.

No please don't unsubscribe....
I will need some support as I do the therapy at home too. I was told I could try it on myself to see if it helps with my tendency towards migraine. However, I have controlled mine with magnesium.

Have you supported your NF therapy with nutritional changes too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom