Dilantin - itching?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kimba

New
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has noticed a lot of itching since taking Dilantin? Been taking for a week and starting to itch bad! Thank you for any info!

Kim

I have been on Dilantin as a temporary med for about two weeks now. After about a week, I started getting a mildly itchy chin, and my skin from head to toe has gradually been getting kinda speckly (not rashy, but just all kinda mottled looking). I feel like my skin is a tiny bit tingly (not in the numb sense, more like the prickly sense). That's all been in the last week, which was when I increased my dose from 100 2x/day to 200 am and 100 pm. So I can only assume it's related.

I also have developed a major hand tremor from Dilantin. Mostly in the right hand (I'm right handed, doh!). Again, this started after I increased. It's always worse for a couple of hours after I take my pills, and then gradually fades away.

I have been on Dilantin for 40 plus years, I haven't any itching that I recall. Being that I've been on it so long, I can't remember what it was like when I first started.

I remember being itchy when I first started on Dilantin. I think I reduced my dose a bit and the itching side effect stopped eventually. It may be an allergic reaction -- if it doesn't go away, or gets worse, let your doctor know.

Back
Top Bottom