Does this sound like seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

evergreen

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone. My son is 11 years old, and has been diagnosed with possible seizures. It all started last May. He began fainting and getting what he called "lightheaded". The episodes went away for a few months, and have now come back FAR WORSE. Here is a quick description of what he experiences.

He says that he gets a funny taste in his mouth. Not a taste per se, but a sensation that runs through his head and settles in his mouth. A bitter taste. He then gets tunnel vision (to the point that he loses vision). From here, one of two things can happen.

1. His arms will get tingly/numb and he passes out completely for about 6 seconds. He hits the floor/desk pretty hard. He has hurt himself during a pass out. When he awakes he is confused for a very short time. Then regains his composure.

2. If he doesn't completely pass out, he will have a black-out spell. This lasts about 10 seconds. He does not lose consciousness, and continues at whatever (simple) task he is working on. But his awareness is totally gone. He is conscious but not aware. Confused briefly after the event.

The thing that makes me wonder if these are actual seizures, is that he says that he can sometimes "stop" the event if he "catches it as soon as he gets his first sensation". He puts his head down and breathes really heavy. So, I have to wonder if this is just syncope? Or, I fear it is a heart problem. What led the doctor to think seizure was the loss of awareness, funny taste in his mouth and confusion.

This happens while he is either sitting or standing.

We have lots of testing this week. We have an EEG, EKG, Echo and neuro consult scheduled. What do you think? I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

Evergreen, First and foremost, welcome CWE; this is a great resource and support group to be involved with. I am very interested in seeing what your results are as I am having the same issue and my results of the EEG have been inconclusive. One time it is E the next time it is not.

Please keep us posted.
Bergoomay

Evergreen,

Welcome to CWE! I'm glad you found us. :)

What your son is experiencing could either be:
- an atonic seizure. http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/generalized_atonic.html
- a tonic seizure. http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/generalized_tonic.html

They are both generalized seizures. That means they involve the whole brain. That means they should show up on an EEG, whether they are currently happening or not.

I think you have made exactly the right move in getting an appointment with a neurologist. Will you let us know what he says?

#2 Are usually the types of seizures that I have.

I have found many times that as you said, if I don't balck out I just keep on doing what I was doing at the time. I do lots of crossword puzzles and there have been so many times that I will have a seizure (I don't know when they are coming on) and then come out of it and there will be scribbles all over the crossword puzzle.

Also when I come out of it I am very confused. I usually won't even know my husband's name.

What's weird is that I had about 5 of these black-out episodes as a child. Very scary. But, that was back in the 70s, when the doctor's advice was always, "Let's wait and see. She looks fine to me!" :dontknow: So, my parents never followed-up. Luckily, they went away after only a few episodes. I had a simple partial seizure a few years back, but had a "normal" EEG. The seizure was diagnosed based on symptoms. Non-epileptic seizure I guess?

So, there may be some family history going on here. Who knows. My poor son deals with this, if not daily, then weekly. I feel so bad for him, and am hoping for some answers.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's much appreciated. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom