Elder girls only

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

137Alice

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi,everybody. Is there any info on connection between menopause/hormones and epi? I found very little.

Not my fault

Sorry, have no idea why my PC changed epilepsy to epileptologist!

Hi Alice,

I don't know why you didn't find anything in your searching. Have you tried this search on Google: "epilepsy hormones menopause" There's quite a lot out there on catamenial seizures, seizures related to a woman's hormones and monthly cycles. Has anyone evaluated you for this?

Hi Alice,
I know when I was having my cycles I would always have seizures each month 7-10 day before the cycle started. My Epileptologist told me it was all do to hormones changing each month. The estrogen level increases while at the same time the progesterone level decreases. Estrogen can cause more excitement while progesterone calms the nerves according to my Epileptologist and depending on the person it can sometimes trigger seizures for some females when it is a little higher than usual and the progesterone is down.
I saw many different neuros. over the yrs. but after I started seeing an Epileptologist I found that the ones I've seen know much more about epilepsy, keep me on the least amount of meds, and know what caused my epilepsy. My Epileptologist works with a team of other Drs. which is also a very big help. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Yes, Zoe there is some info, but nothing new. The problem is not much research is being done on this problem just as on the dosage of meds.

For those whose seizures are estrogen-sensitive, menopause can sometimes bring on new seizures -- or it can also potentially be a time when seizures lessen. This is because while estrogen levels decrease during menopause (theoretically a plus for catamenial seizures), the levels of progesterone are also decreasing -- and progesterone is what keeps estrogen in check. The two hormones don't necessarily decrease at the same rate, and there can be blips and spikes when estrogen levels are high and progesterone levels are low, or vice versa.

I suppose i didn`t express myself clearly. I never had problems with my cycle and never had one single seizure before my menopause. It all happened practically at the same time after 40 - my menopause and my first tonic clonic. I had some hormonal treatment without any success - as far as my seizures are concerned. What helped were the meds, though those "speech arrests" remain and my doc is sure they are very short focal sz.

For some people, menopause brings new-onset seizures. As noted above, this is because progesterone levels may be dropping erratically and/or estrogen levels are spiking erratically.

You might be interested in this study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9952268 which, among other things, found that "...12 (20%) of the 61 menopausal women noted that their seizures first began during or after menopause, with eight having no proven cause for their seizures."

Hey Alice,
I am in the same boat as you. Never had anything during my periods. Had some deja vu symptoms during pregnancy of 3rd child in 1979. Neuro couldn't find anything then. Fast forward 2006, menopause, stress, insomnia. Shit hit the fan. Luckily, it has never been a tonic but was immediately put on Keppra and have been on it ever since.
Stress still plays a role in my situation but the meds control me very well. I have been lucky.
Good Luck!
M

Hey, Marika, just one more question - ever tried any hormonal replacement therapy? Since our E seems to be caused by menopause it would be logical to try it? When i asked about it, i was told rather vaguely that "researches are been made" but it is all not so conclusive.
Alice

I have noticed a tremendous decrease in seizure activity since this hormonal storm has taken a back seat.
Granted I am also on the Ketogenic Diet, I wish I could have had an earlier menopause.
Oh well, better late than never, I am almost 58.
When the seizures lessen the constant stress lessens bit by bit.
So far, I am happy..... one day at a time.

Keto

Hi, Deeds, always wanted to know if ketiogenic works for adults also. And how difficult to follow it with all this precise weighting every ingredient of food for every meal.

Hi, Deeds, always wanted to know if ketiogenic works for adults also. And how difficult to follow it with all this precise weighting every ingredient of food for every meal.
KETO for ADULTS

If 3 drugs aren't making a dent and surgery is not an option...... you make the decision.
I have been doing this for almost a year and a half. It is full time and full scale but at this age things do not have to be measured to the nth degree like they do with infants and children. My neurologist has a full time nutritionist. I live in Canada and this is new for adults. Obviously it is easier to take a pill, or two or 12..... My first Nutritional consult was at N.Y.U. Now that the Ketogenic Diet is being used for brain cancer, body building and many things in between, it is as good a time as any to try. I have some great books and Keto websites. You might like to check out Health Pursuit, Leanne Vogel is a holistic nutritionist with great books, podcasts and tons of other info. Jimmy Moore, from La Vida Low Carb is awesome and Maria Emmerich also has a great book.
The feeling of being in Ketosis is brilliant. Let me know if you need more info!

No. Never was on hormone replacement because the seizures were not serious and I am well controlled with the meds. I did try to get off them last yr. (with dr. ok) but on the 34th day of not being on them I had an absence seizure at a meeting and have been back on since then. I have to accept that it is what it is and live with it.
M

I tick all three on replacement under nuro he got no probs with it and read plenty of info.Maybe some of people on this site who been in this position be helpful and believe me there are some of us mature gals on here who know and links on here but I not clue how find links.

Hey, Marika, just one more question - ever tried any hormonal replacement therapy? Since our E seems to be caused by menopause it would be logical to try it? When i asked about it, i was told rather vaguely that "researches are been made" but it is all not so conclusive.
Alice

HRT is usually considered problematic for women with hormone-related epilepsy, since it is basically estrogen. Estrogen is the likely trigger of the seizures (because progesterone levels that keep estrogen in check dip during menopause).

I think the problem with Hormones is that it is Progesterone which is too dangerous is the hormone known to be the seizure effective, or defective.
Taking Estrogen is exactly what we don't want to do since that is the culprit, if we are affected w catamenial seizures.
If Progesterone didn't cause cancer it would be a wonderful thing.
For now, I remain Ketogenic with Dilantin, Keppra and Clobazam and some Medical marijuana, equal parts CBD and THC.

Last edited:
I got think of coming off hrt..what Cbd and thc sounds like you on a good regime .I going ask about medical marijuana.I tried the non medical but so strong I think it reacted to my lac or just made e worse most horrible aura of panic something I never want have again but I would try medical stuff and as bonus may help back pain.Do it have same effects as non medical marijuana because I have to pass if did

Back
Top Bottom