Epilepsy--The Ongoing Saga (Hi!)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jemsister

New
Reaction score
Hello to you all, it's very nice to meet you. =) My name is Josie, and I was diagnosed with simple and complex partial epilepsy about 15 years ago. My seizures have been only moderately controlled at best, so I have never driven or held down more than a part time job. I am blessed to have a husband who takes on the extra load without complaint. He is the breadwinner, the grocery shopper, and my own personal chauffeur. XD I am a stay at home mom these days, with a 7 year old son and a 2 year old daughter. I also homeschool my son, although we have missed several weeks due to complications with my medication and seizure control.

So the brief history is that I have spent many years hopping medications. Tegretol didn't work and made me dopey, Keppra made me paranoid, Zonegran didn't work and gave me horrible pelvic pain and UTI like symptoms, and although Trileptal worked acceptably well for the last 8 years, I don't tolerate it anymore because it started depleting my sodium about two years ago.

All this came to a head this last summer when my sodium dropped down to 124, so I was put on sodium chloride supplements. In an effort to remove the Trileptal over the course of about 6 weeks, me neuro put me on Lamictal. But it didn't work well enough as a monotherapy option. So I hit a wall with weaning off Trileptal, and had a drop attack because of it. I had also been feeling really sick to my stomach for a week or so, and had lost a fair amount of weight that I didn't have to lose in the first place. So my neuro had me increase Trileptal slightly for the seizure control, and then she drew a sodium level. When the results came back, it showed that my sodium had dropped to 127 despite supplementation. So with all the trouble I've had coming off the Trileptal, she decided to have me go in and get a mega dose of Dilantin intravenously, as a stopgap really, just to get rid of the Trileptal and move forward from there. They also gave me some saline to bring my sodium back up to normal. That was two weeks ago.

It's kind of a long story, and the details are not particularly relevant, but I was referred to a different neurologist this week. He wants me to get off both the Trileptal and the Dilantin, keep the Lamictal but raise the dose, and add Vimpat. That was Friday.

So currently I am taking Lamictal, Vimpat, Dilantin, and Trileptal. I'm still taking the sodium chloride supplements, so mostly I feel fine. Amazingly, the side effects really haven't been too bad considering how many things I'm taking, but they are all at a pretty low dose, so maybe that's why. The next two weeks will be spent increasing the Vimpat, and then I will see the neurologist again and we'll strategize how to reduce the unwanted meds.

Sounds like you've been through the wringer! All the best with the meds, I hope you get some relief soon :)

Thanks, I hope so too! We are probably going to look into the possibility of brain surgery soon. We're looking into have an inpatient video EEG done down at the epilepsy center, and some other testing too, of course.

HI Josie,

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time with E and meds. I once was taking Trileptal and had to be taken off it for the sodium level also. I was also on sooooo many meds that nothing worked for me, either. I eventually had a left temporal lobectomy and was seizure free for 14 months. But that was over 20 years ago, so the surgery has improved.

I do hope you find something to alleviate your seizures.

Cint, how do your pre-surgery seizures compare to your post-seizure free seizures? Are they the same/different/less severe/more severe?

Well, I don't want to ruin anyone's plan for surgery..... but mine turned out worse after surgery than before. I went in having 3-5 CP seizures a day before surgery. After 14 months seizure free, I had one bad TC seizure and they kept coming, along with CP's, not to mention the depression after the surgery. So we tried many more meds, to no avail. Finally in 1998, I had the VNS surgery, and it has helped control the seizures, but not completely stopped them. Now the longest I've been seizures free is about 9 months. I do have some nocturnal ones. And I still take Keppra + Topomax.

I have wondered about the VNS, but none of my neurologists have ever had much positive to say about it for some reason. But it's clear to me that it does benefit people, so I don't understand the reluctance they have about it. I am very curious about the new one they are developing that is implanted directly into the brain (if I understand correctly).

I'm sorry your seizures became worse after surgery, that really sucks! =( It sounds like they changed a lot, too. I wonder why that happened if previously it was all complex partial seizures (and I assume they determined they originated in the TL). Are your generalized seizures secondary or primary? I hope I am not asking too many questions. =P

I have wondered about the VNS, but none of my neurologists have ever had much positive to say about it for some reason. But it's clear to me that it does benefit people, so I don't understand the reluctance they have about it. I am very curious about the new one they are developing that is implanted directly into the brain (if I understand correctly).

I'm sorry your seizures became worse after surgery, that really sucks! =( It sounds like they changed a lot, too. I wonder why that happened if previously it was all complex partial seizures (and I assume they determined they originated in the TL). Are your generalized seizures secondary or primary? I hope I am not asking too many questions. =P

Keep asking questions... that is what we are here for. My generalized seizures are secondary....

Some Neurologist are more pro-brain surgery than anything. I had the VNS as a last resort, nothing else worked for me.

Keep asking questions... that is what we are here for. My generalized seizures are secondary....

Some Neurologist are more pro-brain surgery than anything. I had the VNS as a last resort, nothing else worked for me.

And yes, my seizures originated in my Left Temporal Lobe.

Back
Top Bottom