first eeg

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

marths

New
Reaction score
hi to everyone.can you possibly help me? unsure of what is happening to me.i'm a 37 year old female,having what my doctor says sounds like seizures, in clusters for the past three months on a very regular bases( sometimes daily which often leaves me feeling dazed and zombie-like with headaches,nausea, visual changes,strange smells,feeling like i've done things and seen things before when in truth i haven't. just a total everything is strange and weird feeling)took my first standard EEG test recently.there is moderate frequent episodes of momentary bilateral sharp activity more posterior and marked on the left and with some intermixed left sided theta slowing.Mild cerebral irritability plus mild cerebral dysfunction.What the heck should i possibly make of this?

Last edited:
Hi Marths, Welcome to CWE! You will find tons of information and support here. There are lots of great people here who know a lot about Epilepsy. All of the things you are experiencing along with your seizures are very normal and many of us feel them too, such as the nausea, sensory changes, deja vu, etc. Seizures are very hard on the body and it takes a lot out of us. Did the doctor start you out on any medication? Try to keep a diary or note book so that you can write down what you were doing when your seizures occur and note any triggers at the time. For me, a lack of sleep is a huge trigger and so is stress. I also need to take my meds at a regular time each and every day. I live in a hot climate and need to stay out of the heat and sun. In time, you will get to know your triggers and body signals very well.
I hope you find yourself at home here, this place has been a godsend for me...I've learned so much and found so much support! :)

God, thank you so very much for the kind support.Can't tell you how much it is appreciated right now.No my doctor hasn't put me on any meds yet.Had an episode at 5:00 this morning,woke me up from my sleep.I was feeling really hot all over and ready to puke my guts out. then it happened. couldn't move or speak at all. face right down to my feet.
What is frustrating is the hr department on my job has stopped being understanding and are trying to have me declared medically unfit and have sent me to their company doctor(GP). Really don't need the stress right now!!

Last edited:
I'm sorry for what you are going through, it's frustrating navigating through all of the Bullcaca. Can I ask why the doctor decided not to put you on medication? Given that it sounds like you have a diagnoses.
Stay strong, you have a lot of support here and feel free to post as many questions and concerns that you have. I'm sure many more will jump in and offer their experience...I just happened to be the first.

coming along

hello again to everyone.Sorry for my lack of communication.have had a busy time of it lately. Schools out and my seizures had been doing a number on my brain,damn if i didn't feel like the kids were finishing my brain off.NOW don't get me wrong my kids are darlings but it seems like they get an extra dose of energy when schools out,energy that i didn't have.
oh by the way my neurologist put me on LAMICTAL 25mg chewable tablets to be taken in the AM once a day and right now it's playing havoc with my back(lord it hurts!!) on the day i got the meds i had a seizure in his office. He told me later(cause i didn't know myself during the episode) that if it happened in clusters(according to my hubby it seems i was having seizures for most of the day) for a day i was to go the hospital.I've haven't experienced seizures where my consiousness was affected before.The day of my doctor visit was such a day.Whole day!!
Having apparently some staring episodes and what i would call mild seizures .GOD THE BACK PAIN!! i can barely move now without crying.
But It's so nice to be back with what feels like my family.:hugs:

Last edited:
i just read a post 'In the kitchen' forum on this site the topic was about persons who post fake sickness. Now you don't really know when you speak to persons via posts on line because you can't see them on a daily basis,so you really can't tell if their sickness is really real or fake. I really could not believe what i was reading and that persons do these things.Why would you want to be sick!!!!SEIZURES REALLY SUCK!!!!I feel so spaced out when i'm consious of them and a drunk-like feeling(have been concious, it seems that is changing).Sometimes it's gets so hard for me to discribe funny feelings that happen to me(the right words are so hard to find sometimes). it was enough trouble getting where i am today;people even doctors believed i was having mental episodes(peusodoseizures)hope i spelt it right.NO ONE TOOK ME SERIOUS!!! I didn't give up although i was on the virge of crying(my spelling sucks) cause i know what was happening to me.IT WAS REAL.Do you know how frustrating it is when everyone looks at you like your mental and they try to convince you that you are(a doctor tried that with me.Actually gave me a referral to a phyciatrist).
My husband made me feel like crying today.He was being so insensitive about what has been happening to me these past three months as if i'm making myself this way on purpose(REALLY! IS HE RIGHT IN HIS HEAD!! REALLY!!!) and that i should shake out of this funk and get on with cleaning the house,taking care of the kids and cooking(cause he can't cook worth a fart for himself)and finding myself off to work to lessen the financial load on him.Jeez it's like a dam broke with him today.I don't even like to say SEIZURES,it gets to me.These episodes as i feel better saying leave me feeling so bad.Laying down and sleep is all i want to do.
been having seizures last night.I can tell when they start but lord if i know what happens in between i just remember feeling so sleepy when i did know myself. can't tell what transpired after the last one started i just woke up this morning feeling so tired and beat-up(this is new to me because i have been until these few times concious of them).
Haven't rested since 9:00 this morning and i am starting to get that funny feeling again my hands especially my fingers start to go numb(new symntom)weird feeling in my head,my vision is unfocused,ringing in my ears,strange smells.also it seems that i am having trouble with conciousness.that's happening since my doctors visit this month)lord can seem to get my spelling right today i can't remember.

Last edited:
hi can anyone tell me if having seizures regularly affects your kidneys? Has anybody experienced any kidney problems? Thank you to everyone for making me feel i can ask about anything concerning epilepsy/seizures.I know i will get great advise.

Last edited:
Hi Marths, I think it's normal for us to feel as though we are losing our marbles at times. I remember especially when I was first diagnosed and before I found this fabulous forum I couldn't make sense of what was happening to me. Most of my seizures are nocturnal and I wander, doing things while in an amnesia state. So, I definitely thought I was going nuts when I found out I was doing things when I thought I was asleep in my bed. Just keeps telling yourself you have a medical condition, NOT A MENTAL HEALTH CONDITION. Or, if you are dual diagnosed, that is ok, too. :)
Many anticonvulsants effect the kidneys, depending which ones you are on. For instance. Topamax (the one I am prescribed) is known for causing kidney stones if you don't drink plenty of water. Other people would be able to tell you why, but different meds are synthesized in the liver/kidneys more one than the other, I believe. Make sure you drink plenty of water, just a rule of thumb.
How many children do you have? They sure run us ragged, don't they?? Especially like you said, in the summer months? haha But, they also bring lots of joy!! :)

Thank for this wonderful post. It makes me feel like i am not alone;but didn't you feel scared when it was realized what was happening to you? LORD! the things that may have happened to you during these episodes.

I realized yesterday in hindsight that my urine has had a bad scent since these seizures started(i mean i was having them almost everyday sometimes on clusters for 3months now i'm on medication now(lamictal chewable tablets))don't want to worry myself silly but the scent is still there.

But it's so nice to know that i tell you folks about it than keep all inside worrying.
Thanks a lot, water is something i don't drink enough of.
I have two handsome boys(2 and 7) and right now my windows are at their mercy cause their playing ball outside.

Yes, my seizures are still not controlled so I often wake up with injuries and have no idea how I got them. I joke around and say I go next door to climb the neighbor's trees (I don't have any trees in my yard but they do) because the bruises are usually in the insides of my thighs. I have a bannister, so I'm probably climbing or doing something else dangerous on it. lol
Why, you DO have your hands full!!! It's hard to take care of yourself when your babies are that small...I remember, and I didn't have any disabilities back then. Remember to drink lots of water. Gotta take care of those kidneys :)

Hello.How has everyone been doing? I hope We all keep moving forward no matter what(even the bummy days.They will eventually pass). Hope those that need to get to the bottom of what is happening to them get the right help to figure it all out.And for those who have been diagnosed with E,hope the strength is given to get through each and every day.Take care of your'll selves.

Hi all. my last few days have not been all that sunny.Didn't want to harp about what has been going on with me.Well what do you know,been feeling weird since Friday(Vision all blurry,shaky unsteady feeling,tingling sometimes numbness in my limbs they just feel so funny sometimes. pins and needles in my fingertips.ringing in my ears.a feeling of my ears being stuffed and voices seem muffled,jumbled emotions can't tell whether to laugh,cry or shake the feeling of dread.Not to mention problems finding words when speaking.My memory is terrible.)I vomited a few times on Saturday.
On Sunday i was bumbarded with weird smells either burning rubber or a stinky smell.My stomach feels like its constantly coming up my throat. I felt just not myself.

I went to work feeling like this on Friday last.Continued feeling like this over the weekend and on Monday same feeling and the at about 5 in the afternoon Started feeling like I was going to pass out and sometime after 5 in the afternoon I don't know what the heck happen. The next thing i know i was lying down on a couch and a coworker was talking to me,i was feeling so tired and could barely talk and she had called the ambulance.
Well i got discharged from the hospital today(Tuesday 7th) Still feeling weird.My medication was up to 100mg daily(lamictal).GOD!! i feel so embarrassed to have this happen at work.Now everyone knows.

Last edited:
Hi Marths! I'm sorry that your seizure activity progressed, especially at work. Sometimes it's hard to recognize those warning signs in the beginning (Auras). Those weird feelings and smells, hearing losses, and nausea are sometimes seizures in and of themselves and other times precursors for seizures to come. But they are always very important to pay attention to and to record what you're doing at the time so you can see what may be causing them. In your case, maybe your dose was too low (you mentioned your Lamictal was raised) But a diary is a great idea.
Sorry to hear about your hospital stay, but I hope you're on the mend now!! Get better quickly!! :)

Hi Marths,

Sorry to hear that your feeling ucky..
I pretty much know what your going through- I had a seizure at work a few months back, and It's very embarrassing. Everyone saw me
The ambulance was called and I was transported to the hospital.The next day I had to go back and pick up my stuff that was left behind. I was really nervous.. I didn't want to be noticed. to my surprise- people I didn't know were checking up to see how I was doing. I thought wow! what a great way to know your co-workers. lol

I hope that your feeling better, and try not to think about what others think. it just makes it worse. I bet their concerned about you.

all the best hold your head high!
sending you :hugs:

Marths, sorry about this happening at work for you, but now im sure they will be more understanding as to the what could happen, and how to look after you correctly if it should happen again,

Hi all. my last few days have not been all that sunny. Didn't want to harp about what has been going on with me. Well what do you know, been feeling weird since Friday(Vision all blurry, shaky unsteady feeling, tingling sometimes numbness in my limbs they just feel so funny sometimes. pins and needles in my fingertips. Ringing in my ears. A feeling of my ears being stuffed and voices seem muffled, jumbled emotions can't tell whether to laugh, cry or shake the feeling of dread. Not to mention problems finding words when speaking. My memory is terrible.)I vomited a few times on Saturday.
On Sunday i was bombarded with weird smells either burning rubber or a stinky smell. My stomach feels like its constantly coming up my throat. I felt just not myself.

sometimes daily which often leaves me feeling dazed and zombie-like with headaches, nausea, visual changes, strange smells,feeling like I've done things and seen things before when in truth i haven't. just a total everything is strange and weird feeling)

everything you are describing is almost to a Tee what im feeling but I have had no "Grand mal" that im aware of ... im guessing they do also happen in sleep as people wake with bitten tongue's, .. OUCH! but everything but the drop seizures, I cant remember the other name for them.. sorry, I think I have had this from a child but just put it off as hormones, food intolerance, stress, bad child, adhd, hyper focus just to name a few, but im suddenly realizing that I too may have epilepsy, I am waiting for my test dates to arrive for the EEG, MRI, im having bloods this week and they also believe I have an enlarged probably hyper thyroid ... awesome im only 32 in October ....... my husband of late is as up and down as me and one min he's being supportive and next he's like its in your head its this its that and no matter how much I try to explain it to him he just pushes it off I want to punch him daily right now ..... lol.... :( im also trying to raise a family 4 of our children are under 10! and run a business from home and be a great wife and mother/step mom and now this! I just 3 weeks ago had a massive spike in my activity and feel pretty crappy almost every day now so draining im sorry I kind of crashed your link but you wrote exactly what I've been feeling for 3 weeks and im also scared senseless!

thank you Nelly,Holly and Brandibrat.
sorry Holly that you have it so tuff. I have an idea what your going through,i have two kids under the age of 8. Boy do they have me going.Plus you have to deal with the stress of running a business from home(by the way hope you are successful in your endeavor). Support is good especially from your family.Again some of us know how difficult it can be to get others to understand what's happening to you, more so from your significant other(the punching thing i feel the same way sometimes). My aim is to get him as Knowledgeable and informed about E as possible.
Maybe his attitude would(sometimes he can be so sweet.Maybe he gets tired thinking he has to do everything when i'm not well) be understanding
all the times and not like a yoyo. Gosh!! Holly so sorry that you feel crappy.We all here have had days like that.I know it's not a good feeling but everyone here will be here to help you through.

Anyway i'm feeling alot better moving around more without much auras.I'm scared though to stand and have a shower so i sit under the shower and have a bath.
Lord it so scary when you body betrays you sometimes.

I want you guys to take care of yourselves just as i know i have to.It's not always going to easy but we all have to try.Glad to have heard from you all.

Hello everyone.

can anyone tell me if Lipton tea can trigger seizures?

i could be wrong but anything that containes caffine, artificial sweetners, like those in diet sodas can trigger seizures, they are like stimulent to the brain and exciter so to speak and thus help trigger seizure, please somone with more experience confirm this oh and foods with MSG too

Back
Top Bottom