First post here

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Kelly and I am mom to two kids, a 9 year old daughter and 5 year old son. My son, Harison, has had autism since he was 2 and epilepsy since he was 3 1/2. He has tried about 7 different medicines, at one time he was on 4 different meds at the same time and we have never really had any kind of control of the seizures. They started out as tonic-clonic and these only occur rarely. Most of his seizures now are absense an myoclonic head jerks. These happen every day all day. We have tried the GFCF diet with no success. Is there anyone out there who has done this diet for their very picky eater? How to you get them to eat? I've tried everything I can think of and if he doesn't like the way it looks then he won't eat. We have got to the place where he will not eat for days and we have to force-feed pediasure. Any suggestions?

I have to run out Kell, but I will be back with some ideas I have learned on other forums. You might have frequented them too.

I will leave you with this site:

www.stankurtz.com

Welcome kellmeyers

I'm sorry I can't give you any advice on how to deal with your sons eating habits but I know there are at least a couple of people here who deal with autistic children. I"m sure you'll hear from them soon.

I did do a search for "autism" with the search option on this site & here's what I got. http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/search.php?searchid=61088

Meanwhile make yourself comfortable & see what we've got. I hope it helps, even if just a little.

There is also the Modified Atkins Diet.
I think the GFCF is decent choice, but it leaves a lot of room for junk food. What the body is needing is healthy foods. Perhpas your son would do well on a raw diet. Putting out veggies, and fruits throughout the day. Maybe begin a veggie garden, and make smoothies from the organic veggies. He could participate in the growing and might be more incouraged to eat them.

I have a nephew that has intestinal distress and is not a good eater. Same sort of reactions. Perhaps tie a trip to his favorite place, or paying his favorite game, IF he drinks the health shake you make him twice a day. The link I shared in the above post has a video of his son making and drinking this juice. He recovered his son.

Back
Top Bottom