First Seizure at age 32

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I am glad you can follow up, I know it's a scary feeling....I tell people that sometimes I feel like I am a walking time bomb...never knowing if a seizure is going to hit. And then you get worried, you are stressing...and what that might cause...I know that all too well. I want to tell you not to worry...but before I knew I was having seizures and people told me that, I would put off going to the doctor...and I really want you to see the doctor
Take care of yourself, I will remember you in my prayers tonight.

Catherine, I am 53 years old and i live alone also. I have had E all my life. I have been on many meds, but none has worked so far, am not a canidate for surgerys. I do not know when my seizures are coming on at all. But you got to have a note book by your bed and in the living room, take notes on how you feel and the time and date . When i have a seizure and no one hears me, ( next store or under neath on 1st floor), when i wake up on floor i usually get into bedroom and go onto bed, i usually sleep for hours as it drais alot out of you ( it does to me). If you know they coming on try to get to bedroom or just lie down to seizure is over. Tell neigbors you have E and they will listen if there is ever a thump or noise they will check, once my friend down on 1st floor heard a thump from up in my apartment. He came up to check on me, i am glad he did, i had a seizure and hit my head on the sink and knocked myself out and head bleeding, he called ambulance to get me to er. I could not wait to live on my on. . I dO not want other people running my life. It can be scary living alone not having any one here for us incase we hurt our self. But E is something we live with, it just a part of life. When i sleep i get between 3 to 4 hours sleep a night, which is not good. It takes me and hour just to fall asleep when i go to bed, if i get up ( for any noise) i am up the rest of night.

Hi Catherine,

Welcome to CWE.

It is a very scary time, I was diagnosed a year ago (I am now 37). As Robin says, an eeg is a good tool, but they dont always show sz activity. Try and get one sooner though, its a long time to wait, and waiting is stresful! And do note everything down!!! Even if it seems irrelevant.

Main thing is, try to rest, sleep, eat well, and look after yourself (and mixing up words, letters, etc....I know that, and being a writer that is hard...takes soooo long to write - anyone looking at me would think I have never used a computer before!! But hey, so what, there are worse things!!)

Just look after yourself, all the best.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom