First Time User--Please Help!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ellen33

New
Reaction score
Hey Everyone.

I am Ellen. I am 20 years old and I need some help with whatever is wrong with me.

Starting my Senior year of high school, I began to notice I was experiencing debilitating Deja Vu attacks. I would suddenly feel Deja Vu just like I always had in my life. But then I would feel outside of this reality--almost similar to a tunnel experience. I would smell smoke--not like a cigarette or fire but a smokey smell. My head would feel fried and then I would get very nauseous, sometimes even puke.

Over time, they became much more frequent. 2 years later I still experience them although not as frequent as I did in high school.

I began complaining and my parents took me to the doctor. I recevied an MRI and an EEG but nothing appeard to be wrong. The "attacks" continued.

I have done some research on my own. There has been many comments on similar experiences with people with epilepsy (which is why I registered here), dissociative identity disorder, depersonalization, derealization, and others. I have never been diagnosed but many people reccommend psychological help. But being a full-time student at a top University who works part-time and does not have a car, it is hard to continue these visits.

The "attacks" are so scary and really affect my life. I hate them and they are painful. I usually feel terribly sleepy afterwards and completely "out-of-it."

I have often thought they were panic attacks.
When I was young, I was harrassed by a man who would call and ask me to touch my "private areas" or shave.
When I was 16, my first boyfriend raped me and did so several times years afterwards.
I had a very destructive behavior during my teenage years and I always though drug use contributed to the "attacks." But when I stopped smoking marijuana, it got much, much, much worse.

All of the Deju Vu experiences make me think they came from prior dreams. I can almost match the Deja Vu to the dream perfectly but that is of no help.

I am doing my best to track when they occur but I have not been doing it long enough to really know. It seems they come around my period, before and after.

If anyone understands what I am going through or has any advice, please, please, please help me.
It is scary to be alone in this and I would love one day to not have to worry.

Thanks guys

Hi Ellen33, welcome to CWE!

What you describe sounds like Simple Partial Seizures. Simple Partials are seizures that can take the form of a wide variety of sensory disturbances -- including things like a persistent phantom smell, or a feeling of deja vu or fear or nausea. You can read more about them here: http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/seizure_simplepartial and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_partial_seizures

Simple Partial Seizures affect only a small region of the brain (often the temporal lobes and/or hippocampus), and people remain conscious throughout. When these kinds of seizures precede a larger seizure like a grand mal, they are called "auras".

Unfortunately, simple partials don't always show up on EEG -- they can be too transient, or originate too deep in the brain to register. I recommend that you see a doctor and try and get a referral to an epileptologist. Keep a detailed journal of your symptoms -- this can help the doctor get a sense of what is going on, and may also help you to identify any triggers that are playing a role. There's great info here about other steps to take: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/

You'll find lots of great support and advice here at CWE -- you're definitely not alone in this.

Best,
Nakamova

Hi Ellen33, hang in there hun. Its not fun, but you will find answers. Don't give up looking. Your health is important and you should follow the advice from Nakamova.

I'm glad you found CWE. It is a wonderful place to talk and feel sort of normal... LOL... as many people here have experienced what you are going through.

Back
Top Bottom