Free of seizures for years ... Then ..

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new on here. I would really appreciate your thoughts. I had petit mal for years and in my early teens had my first grand mal seizure. When I was about 15 I had another. I then spent 23 glorious years seizure free - until last week! I had a seizure at work. No recent medication changes. No new stresses. I don't understand it. Had a weird "not there" feeling all morning. Next thing I woke up with the paramedics - work have been amazing. But after 23 years free I'm So worried. Any thoughts / ideas why etc? Anything of help u would like to say appreciated. Xx

welcome softmint, you'll be glad you came.
my first guess is that your brain became used to the medication. 23 years is a LONG time to go seizure free (awesome for you!!), and a lot of the time our neurons and pathways just overcome the meds b/c either the medication itself can't hold up the fight anymore, or simply the doseage you're on. what do you take?

Wow 23 years is a long time. I know how you feel. I went 15 years until March of last year. Mine were caused by a lot of stress in my job. I agree with qtown on the med aspect. I had 4 EEG's last year all were abnormal. a 5 day VEEG in June same thing abnormal EEG when I had a seizure in the hospital It did not show. Then came the fight to prove that the seizures I was having was real and not PNES. Ambulatory EEG in November finally proved that the seizure were real. That is my story and I am not saying that is what your dealing with. My hope for you that its just a tweaking of you meds to lead you back to seizure freedom.

congratulations on 23 years! We should have tokens like AA :) I would agree. Probably time for a medication change. I have had to have mine continually tweaked. I hope that you find the right level soon so that you can have another 23!!

Wow, Ya I had one when I was 18, I went seizure free until just a little les than a week before my wedding this past September, I am now 32.. I have had 2 that I know of since September. Both in my sleep... Odd, I was on no medicatin for that 12+years and all of the sudden, Bamm, the stress of the wedding or something gave me another one. Then another one this past February. I honestly mine come from getting really worked up and I don't know, but I don knwo that stress is a big thing. From what I have noticed iwth the few that I have had.. Best of wishes with your tests and I hope you keep going strong and don't have another for 23 years or more !!! Take care, there are plenty of people to help!!

Back
Top Bottom