Good employment for someone with atypical absence seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've had epilepsy since I was 12 and only just now has it gotten so out of control that I can no longer hold down a job-at least in my Dr's opinion- (I'm not so sure, and therefor am here to seek advice). I have complex partial seizures and absence seizures, sometimes 3 a day, they can last a few minutes long or just 30 seconds; I've been on Topamax (Topirimate) since I was 12, along with trying literally probably every other seizure med and/or combo of them out there, just got my dose increased to 425mg a couple weeks ago... I also have debillitating migraines a couple of times a week, usually 2 or 3 (the kind that they give you Dilaudid for- hate that stuff). I do yoga everyday because that is supposed to keep you healthy and feeling good and stuff, and I feel marginally better since I started doing it a year ago (but my seizures have definitly not decreased- silly yogis, can't fix epilepsy I guess) I'm 21 right now, up until I was 19 I worked 2 jobs full time from the time I was 16, until my seizures just seemingly 'caught up' with me. (If you're wondering what my Dr thought about that- yeah, I left him out of the loop on that one, for obvious reasons, at least to me haha- I'm a bit headstrong). I'm frustrated by my Dr telling me that I'm a 'liability' in the workplace and that he can't imagine a job that I could do and not hurt myself - and I really can't continue to survive off of SSI ($694 a month) and food stamps ($119 a month) I never imagined my life like this, I had a career that I was working towards, I was in school- and the seizures and short term memory loss just cut school out of the picture entirely, (sometimes I can't even remember where I am, even though I've lived here for most of my life). I just need some advice on what a good job would be for someone with atypical absence seizures, because the way that I'm living right now is not working, and it's not physically possible for me to continue at this rate for much longer without increasing my seizure risk,- (I'm pretty sure I've heard of people having more seizures when they're stressed, I figure if I have job and stay busy then maybe they'll go away??) So, long story short, any ideas would be Greatly appreciated- I have no idea what to do, as I'm in a lease right now and I don't want to lose my SSI by starting a job that's inappropriate for me and getting fired, because then I'd be SOL in the middle of winter, (and I really don't think that the SSA would care, it's not their job to haha as obviously it's not their job to make sure the disabled are actually getting what they need)...

What are your strengths and interests? That would be a good place to start. Make a list of the jobs that might be able to tackle. Unfortunately, its hard to find a job these days regardless of any disability, but you might want to contact the Epilepsy Foundation of Michigan to see if they can point you to helpful job resources: http://www.epilepsymichigan.org/

I'm really good at cooking, and I love working with kids, I used to be a barista in a coffee shop, I'm really outgoing, definitly not shy, I pick new things up really easily, and I love the outdoors =) So hopefully that's a good place to start...

Maybe you can teach a cooking class? Work in a school lunchroom or with an after-school program? Do canvassing for an environmental group? Canvassers usually work in teams, so you'd have support if you were feeling vulnerable.

Sometimes you can get a foot in the door, or make job contacts, by volunteering.

Those are such good ideas! and they could turn into something more =) I'd probably have to stay out of the kitchen- my seizures have already caused a couple issues with knives (and I've broken my hand once at work back when I did work before, with a break through seizure...managed to slam it in a door I guess =/)

Back
Top Bottom