Is this as good as it gets?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

carpediem

New
Reaction score
Excuse the headline, its just I realize my epilepsy is relatively well controlled compared to others and I really do appreciate that. I have myclonic jerks which escalate into tonic clonic seizures, thankfully I haven't had a full tonic clonic for a long time.

I find that I am still having myclonic jerks on a weekly basis around twice a week on toporimate and epilim but its a lot less severe than when I was on clobazam and epilim, I am also not a zombie anymore.
The pro's I have found are weight loss, clearer thinking and better controlled myclonic jerks.
The cons dizzy spells; memory problems; some depression less since they reduced the toporimate; I seem to be more emotional; anxious; panic attacks ; absolutely no sex drive; Insomnia; indecisive and my myclonic jerks aren't controlled.

I am speaking to the epilepsy nurse on Friday about possibly changing the medication. The problem I am faced with is, is this my natural personality or is this the medication its kind of sending me into a bit of tizz.

I am a bit confused about my options and what the heck to do here, any advice would be appreciated thanks.

The meds giveth and the meds taketh away...

If something feels like it isn't "right" chances are the meds are messing with you. They may be creating personality traits that never existed, or they may be exaggerating ones that were there in the first place. In some ways, it doesn't matter how much is "you" and how much is the meds -- if it feels like something has shifted for the worse on the new meds, and that shift is intolerable, then it's worth having a talk with your neuro about other med options.

Thanks Nakamova, I see the epilepsy nurse tomorrow. Thanks for the reply and the advice its given me a bit to chew on, generally just review.

Back
Top Bottom