Got diagnosed with Epilepsy yesterday and I'm 17

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I was just diagnosed with complex partial seizures yesterday and i didn't know that was wrong with me the past year and a half. After my body is stressed out (Exercise) I become confused and can't think straight. My neurologists EEG test and blood test proved this yesterday. I'm currently 17 years old

I'm taking Zonegran now and can't drive for the next 6 months.

Hi chad273120,

I sorry to hear of your diagnoses. It has to be hard at 17, you will be OK.

I'm 60 now was diag. when I was 18, just married.

I found this forum July of 2011, here you will learn more than any dr. will ever tell you. Go into all the diff. and get all the information you can. You can always ask any questions you want. You are amoung people just like you.

Do you keep a diary? I found this out here also.
In a diary keep track of your seizures, any triggers, and there are many. Stress, loss of sleep, meds. changes, hormones, sickness many more.
Note any foods that could be a trigger.
This will help you remember these things when you go to see your dr. again. and it helps you to look back and see what your trigger are.

Hi chad I was diagnosed when I was 15 right before I was going to get my permit and im 30 now for your type of epilepsy there is all types of treatments diets,meds neurofeedback and if noth else works surgery but main thing is acceptance of having it and knowing ur not alone this website really helps you learn like said more than drs because we all have been there done that.so u get both sides ur nuero and wat we call ur epilepsy family.best of luck

Hi! Welcome! My daughter is 11 and diagnosed recently also. There are great people here to help answer questions and support you. Once you are seizure free for 6 months you may be able to drive again. Each state is different. Hang in there :)

I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 27, I'm 35 now. It came out of no where and they still don't know what caused it.

Stress is a huge trigger. It's more mental stress than physical stress though. Also if don't get enough sleep and I'm pretty tired that can also cause one.

As everyone said this website is great and you'll get alot more questions answered here than you will by the dr. You'll find out that there are alot of people who are dealing with some of the problems that you might be having and what they do to cope with them.

Any questions about medicines and side effects that they could cause you'll get an answer about them. I found this site a few years ago and I can't believe how much help I've gotten from it.

I live in PA and you have to be seizure free for 6 months, but as said every state is different.

Keep a diary of how many seizures you've had, what your seizures are like, how you felt before they came on, how long they lasted, what you did during them and how you felt after it. I type out this on the computer and give it to the dr so he know's what's going on, I don't know if others do this too or not.

Write down any questions that you have for your dr because if you're like me I'll end up forgeting them and walk out of the office not knowing what I went in to find out.

Glad to meet you!

Hi Chad, I hope I can give you a little bit of HOPE

My daughter began having seizures when she was 14. It was a wild ride for us for a few years. Then we decided to look into alternative therapies. She is an athlete, and most likely her body needed an abundance of nutrients that most kids her age don't. You mentioned exercise that I why I brought that up.

We made drastic changes to her nutrition, and (eliminated all meds) slowly over a period of years, her health improved. She has been seizure free for about 18 months.

At 20, she is not being as careful about her dietary choices as I would like her to be. However, she sees the borderline symptoms that she needs to be more careful. Fatigue, skin outbreaks, PMS, illness, etc.

She is having a sleep induced EEG in about a week, and this will determine whether or not her current doctor will sign off on her getting her license. It would be a great 21st BDay present.

Think about how your nutritional choices might be challenging your overall health.

I was 16 when I started having problems, I had no real explanation until I was in my 20's. But I don't let this all scare you. The people on this forum have lots of experience and support to share with you. Luckily you got your diagnosis and they should be able to help treat you before things get out of hand. Always remember that it is possible for your seizures to regress or almost never occur. Don't let it get you down. It was so hard when I couldn't do things, things I should have no issue with. Driving is still something I cannot do either. Though I always have hope, things are starting to look up for me and i'm sure you will have your breakthrough in positive ways. We are here to help and best of wishes.

Welcome, I was diagnosed at the age of 17 as well... It is alot to take in but you will do great being on here... its a great way to get answers! Welcome

Hi chad273120,

Do you keep a diary? I found this out here also.
In a diary keep track of your seizures, any triggers, and there are many. Stress, loss of sleep, meds. changes, hormones, sickness many more.
Note any foods that could be a trigger.
This will help you remember these things when you go to see your dr. again. and it helps you to look back and see what your trigger are.

That is VERY true! Keeping a diary!:clap:

hey Chad:) When I was 13, I was officially diagnosed, now I'm 19. I can tell you that this is the best forum for people with epilepsy because sometimes even doctors won't listen to you, but the people here will! so keep posting and see you around :)

Thanks everyone so much for all the replies. My medication is helping tremendously. Even after 2 days of this medication i have not had any hand tremors and I am able to ride a skateboard, which i couldn't do before.

i was diagnosed at 16 too. right before i was supposed to drive. dont worry itll get better just be on top of it and dont forget to take your medicine!!

Back
Top Bottom