Hello !

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

345Jeep

New
Reaction score
My wife was diagnosed with Right Temporal Lobe Epilepsy in February of 2011 at age 35. Like many people, the diagnosis of epilepsy didn't happen until she had a tonic-clonic. Her general doctor had dismissed her non-motor simple partials and absence complex partials as 'anxiety'.

3T MRI deemed to be 'unremarkable' with some cysts on the right frontal and right temporal lobe that the neuros said would not be contributory to seizure activity.

Today she is on Keppra which has, so far, effectively stopped generalization. However, her simple activity is more pervasive then before she first generalized. Below are her simples....which are influenced by the time of the month (during her female cycle), level of sleep, and stress / stimulus. I might also add that she suffers from PMDD.

Sharp zaps in the brain that can range from minimal to "it felt like a bomb went off in my head"

Depersonalization...like watching herself on TV

Adrenaline rush flowing from her head to her chest (feeling of fear for no reason)

She is also sensitive to motion, intensely sensitive to smell, and cannot tolerate being "stimulated" by too much activity around her. She is a tremendously fast reader (bordering on amazing) and finds that she can no longer read for as long as she once did without having "zaps."

I believe that she has always had some sort of right temporal lobe deficit which was exacerbated over time by life and hormone flux until such time as it caught fire and permanently short circuited the works.

Look forward to dialogue which might help my wife and might help others. :e:

Hi Jeep,

Welcome to CWE. The forum was made out of love by Bernard for his wife Stacy. That love permeates throughout the whole forum.

I am sorry about your wife. You are a great husband to go to a support group.

Could you please tell me about the cysts? It seems to me that they would cause seizure activity.

Thanks !!

They were described to me as open spaces between the brain and the skull that are filled with cerebral spinal fluid. The Epileptoligist at the EMU and two other consulting neurologists dismissed them as unremarkable and not related to the epilepsy.

The technical name for the cysts is 'arachnoid cyst.'

She hays. She is going to start taking Progesterone for this next cycle. I will look into the EEG Neurofeedback.

Thanks !!

Back
Top Bottom