Hello!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skillefer

New
Reaction score
Didn't know this site existed. I look forward to getting to know you. Personally, let's see, I have seizures (grand mal), am hypoglycemic, and happen to have an underactive thyroid. Just got diagnosed as hypoglycemic. And after years of good seizure control, now I'm starting to have them more often. Let's see, what else....oh yes, I'm married. My poor husband has had to see me through a couple of my seizures. I feel guilty about that at times....ah well.

Hi skillefer...
Welcome to CWE... we are neighbors.
Love your little duck. What is he looking for?

I have seen my daughter having seizures and it is scary.
From your other post (as I didn't want to steal that post), I need to ask you some questions....
My daughter Rebecca has had seizures for the past 1.5 yrs. She is now 16. How did your mom react so that you felt guilty about your seizures. Seems it is happening now with your husband, but I am curious about your mom. I feel like I am walking a thin line as to how much I can help and how much concern I show. She only has classic tonic clonics, and it is quite scary when she falls and hits her head on the concrete at school.

She seems to be offended that I am doing my own research and that it matters to me.
She yelled at me last week that I acted like it was happening to me. She wanted me to know that it wasn't happening to me. I was stunned... and took a deep breath.
I know she is frustrated, and yet I don't want her to feel guilty. I don't want to come back with the fact that it does effect me too. It effects the whole family. She doesn't need that kind of burden. So I hold my tongue.

Any added insight would be of help.

Also, did you do a blood glucose tolerance test? I am considering doing that for my daughter too. I am curious though, to know if even a slight drop could trigger a seizure in some people. Can it also be at certain times of the day, and not at other times?
Many questions I need to write down for my doctor.

Hi Robin!

Well, when I was younger, my mom would come to pick me up at the school or at the hospital, and she would act worried. Her facial espression, the way that she hovered around me... That's what made me feel guilty. The fact that she was worried. My dad, on the other hand, would walk in, smile, and say something along the lines of " You must really want to get out of taking that test..." And I'd laugh, and know that things were going to be okay. Then, when I was about your daughters age, I got a little snippy becuase it seemed everytime I was getting ready to test for my drivers license, I'd have a seizure. Talk about feeling out of the typical teen loop. Trust me...my seizures made me feel very different from my peers. Especially since my mom was so paranoid, that she wouldn't even let me go swimming unless my little brothers went with me. I think she would have flattened the tires on my bike if she would have thought about it. The thing is, I didn't want my seizures to impact anybody else in my family. I already knew that it did...at least to some effect. But I just wanted to be able to deal with it and move on.
Also, as for the glucose test, I had to have one done after I crashed my car into a house. :) Long story short, my blood sugar was low, I didn't have breakfast, and drove to work. On the way, just as I was pulling out of the driveway, I had a seizure and rolled into the house across the street. Luckily I was going slow, so I didn't break their wall. I only broke their gas main, and I paid to have that fixed the same day. The paramedics insisted I go be seen by a doctor. 2 hours after eating at an Indian restaurant, my blood sugar tested at a 66. Definitely way too low. That's how I found out that I needed to watch my blood sugar.
The thing is, you can protect your daughter from alot...but you can't protect her from everything. Also, just remember how she must feel. My seizures kept me from dating (after all who wants to date someone who flops around on the floor like a dying fish?) until I was older. And I'll be honest, that made me feel hurt too. But you know what/ I have a fantastic husband who takes care of me like a queen. And he's good looking too. :) So there's hope for your daughter. :) There's still good guys out there. The thing is, just let her be a kid....and remember to try to have a sense of humor. The more relaxed you appear to be about the seizures, the more relaxed and accepting she'll be.

Hi skillefer ~ I'm 63 years old and my epilepsy didn't even start until I was 47 years old - LOL. I was lucky (I guess !!)

Welcome to CWE

Hi skillefer, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Stacy is also borderline hypoglycemic. She has done well on a pseudo-LGIT diet.

Welcome skillefer

Sounds like you got a great deal, when you picked your hubby! Maybe you'd loan him out sometime? LOL!:roflmao:

Welcome to CWE, Skillefer! I don't remember if I said hi before or not. Hmmm. Well, I see we have a couple of things in common......the same type of szs, and the hypothyroid. Congrats on getting yourself a gem of a hubby! That's great! Mine has seen a few of mine.....but he doesn't yet, still, understand how to deal with them.

You'll learn a lot here......I've had ep for 42 years......and I'm STILL learning.....hehehe.

Meetz

Just a minute now!

Welcome skillefer

Sounds like you got a great deal, when you picked your hubby! Maybe you'd loan him out sometime? LOL!:roflmao:

:hello: Skill!

Like your name, and ignore Birdy! Birdy's got another
Birdy! I don't! Mind if I borrow him? As in ...
permanently?

:D

Kidding! Welcome to CWE and I can see you've
made yourself a home! Grab a bag of
:pop:
and scroll around and have a ball!

Indeed!

:hello: Skill!

and ignore Birdy!

Dangerous advice there, brainless. NEVER ignore the BB. I will have my undivided attention. Remember, I am the BOMB !
char078.gif

Thank you all for the warm welcome. :)

As to loaning out my hubby...:) Nope. I like him too much for that. :)

And BB, I would never think of ignoring you. :)

Smart girl!

:roflmao: Now you should really ignore Brain ! :secret:

:pfft:

Birdy just walked right
into that one!

^5 Skill!

;)

omg I feel your pain. My dtr is only 17 and was diagnosed at 11 years old with epilepsy. She has been on all sorts of different drugs. Now on Lamactil and Topimax. yikes. Poor kid. I've been searching the internet forever looking for a cure or something that will help her not have seizures. I did find a site that offers up a native cure for seizures, but I'm a little apprehensive about that. Does your dtr ever cry her eyes out after a seizure wishing she didn't have them. I was up all night with my dtr trying to calm her down after her latest seizure. OMG. it was awful. Poor child. Now I'm scared because I was reading about all the ppl who have died from this. I didn't know that and now I'm terrified. Please respond. Thanks. s-j

Hi S-J,
I am not sure who you are addressing this to.
If you find a post that you want to answer, or ask a question about something that they said, or just a comment.... on the right side near the reply button, click on quote and it will open up the message box and quote the persons post that you want to reply to.

My daughter does not cry about her seizures. She has cried about what others have said about her. She cries because she is a teen age girl. She is actually very strong about her seizures. I think sometimes Rebecca has cried because of the meds she was on.
Now that she isn't taking any she seems very together, clear headed, mature and willing to discuss the situation more often with me.

I did get Rebecca a therapist so that she could talk about her issues with someone other than MOM. At times I have even asked for an additional appt. just for myself. It is really worth it to deal with some of these fears, and frustrations so that you aren't seeing them surface throughout the day.

Is anyone discussing neurofeedback in Canada? I am learning more about it from the EEGInstitute. I just received a CD that explains it, and they offer a free consultation. I am considering it for Rebecca. I already put her on a new and exciting nutritional plan (HATE the word diet). She is eating healthier than ever before, and hopefully her body will begin to aborb all the wonderful vitamins and minerals from her food and supplements to keep her brain functioning properly. Loads of things you can do to be proactive. It helps to keep your plan in focus so that you dont' get swept into the depression of fear and despair.

omg I feel your pain. My dtr is only 17 and was diagnosed at 11 years old with epilepsy. She has been on all sorts of different drugs. Now on Lamactil and Topimax. yikes. Poor kid. I've been searching the internet forever looking for a cure or something that will help her not have seizures. I did find a site that offers up a native cure for seizures, but I'm a little apprehensive about that. Does your dtr ever cry her eyes out after a seizure wishing she didn't have them. I was up all night with my dtr trying to calm her down after her latest seizure. OMG. it was awful. Poor child. Now I'm scared because I was reading about all the ppl who have died from this. I didn't know that and now I'm terrified. Please respond. Thanks. s-j

They have all kinds of resources and information
available for you in CANADA
NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE!
Click on the banner and go to
their website!
:)

Hello...

...and welcome S-J. I was diagnosed at 13 when I got my period, went about 9 years without a seizure, and then started having seizures again. Ah well. :) Do I have a dtr that cries after having a seizure? Nope. But I can remember being a teenager and hating having seizures. Hating feeling so different from my peers. Hating feeling like I was putting my parents through everything. Hating having epilepsy. The thing is, having seizures is a part of me. It's something I've learned to deal with, and learned to accept. Honestly, the best person in helping me with that was my dad. Why? Because of how he reacted to me and the seizures. He didn't panic, freak out, get paranoid, or get upset. He came in and helped me to relax. He didn't look upset or stressed, so I didn't get stressed. Now my mom, well, let's just say that she reacted differently. :) Oh, I know she meant well, and that she was just stressed, but that just made me feel worse. How you react, will have an effect on how your dtr reacts to having seizures. You came to a fantastic group that is really supporting. They have some fantastic advice. Read the posts and ask any questions you have. And as to the dying part...well, that is a possibility. But you cannot protect your child from all the "what if's" in life. Whether they have seizures or not. The thing is to teach them not to take unnecessary risks. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom